Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I don't think they fixed my computer

Dear Apple Community:

The background:

I have a 15 inch MacBook Pro and it has been acting up lately. I checked the machine into the Apple Store, and received a phone call today from the Apple Genius. A couple of things that I picked up from the call, and what the technician noted and genius administrator told me:

- I have 32GB of memory, and since it is third party memory, they won't be able to support it if it is the memory's fault, fair enough. But, the maximum amount of memory the architecture supports is 16GB. Not 32GB. Nor have I even seen a 16GB laptop memory package before, check on NewEgg. There is a big different between 32 and 16… I don't know how they mixed that up. Did they even "diagnose" my machine?

- My computer is overheating because of my third party memory. I had no idea that my third party memory could cause my machine to heat to 90+ degrees when I am browsing the Internet.

The Apple store I went to:

Eaton Centre

220 Yonge Street

Toronto, Ontario M5B 2H1

(647) 258-0801

My machine:

MacBook Pro, late 2011, MacBookPro8,2

OSX 10.8.2

16 Gigs of ram, yes, using third party ram.

The problem:

The display screws up after using the machine with any amount of CPU/GPU heavy task. I write code for a living so my machine is always compiling something in the background when I am using it.

Tried solutions:

Since I have a computer with dual graphics card, I downloaded gfx.io's graphics card switcher, and selected integrated only, and this is the only stable solution so far. Also, I noticed that the descrete graphics card's fan spins up when I am doing simple things like browsing the web. This has caused me to believe that my descrete graphics card is damaged, OR there is a software issue.

Attached image of the problem: (This is still happening after the Genus appointment, which they checked in my machine for a week to 'test')

User uploaded file

Posted on Feb 21, 2013 5:02 PM

3 replies

Feb 21, 2013 5:11 PM in response to billli

Either return the computer to the repair shop or call Apple Customer Relations (800) 767-2775. Wait for a human to come on the line and ask politely and firmly that you want to be transferred over to the Customer Relations department. Explain the issues to them.

This time make sure you check your computer before you leave the repair shop.

User uploaded file

Feb 21, 2013 5:18 PM in response to CMCSK

See, the problem is that, I suspect the descrete GPU has a faulty hardware, specifically the memory, so for it to happen, it would depend on a random chance of whether or not the faulty memory is hit, and I could be sitting there for ages before the machine crashes again, and the Apple store is super busy and the Genius are always accompanied.

I explained this to them when I checked the machine in. But if they can't replicate it, then to them, the machine is perfectly fine.

I don't think they fixed my computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.