Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac only rejecting TurboTax 2012 disc?

When I first purchased TurboTax 2012, I tried using it with my iMac. But after about 10 seconds of noises coming from the disc drive, the disc was spit out. I tried again and again. I did a NVRAM and SMC reset to no avail. I returned the disc, and got a new one. I put the new disc in and the Mac keeps it in longer than the other one. It seems like it starts to spin the disc and then stops, then it spits it out. The drive accepts every other disc I put in, though. Why is it rejecting only TurboTax? My system meets all the requirements.

Posted on Feb 21, 2013 6:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 21, 2013 6:24 PM

Humm perhaps the store just got a bad batch of TurboTax DVDs...?

First try cleaning the TurboTax DVD to remove any film that might be left over from manufacturing.

see > How to Clean a DVD or CD Disc ?

Then you might try cleaning your SuperDrive with a cleaning disc.

see > Memtek CD and DVD Lens Cleaning Kit

13 replies

Feb 22, 2013 3:50 AM in response to den.thed

There are a number of threads on the Apple forum site where this is discussed. This is where I first learned of this problem. One of the issues is that the information on the box is misleading. On one forum, (can't remember where) some forum participants were reaming a Turbo Tax representative because of this. This representative promised a full refund and appologized for the misunderstanding.

Feb 22, 2013 8:24 AM in response to SeaPapp

That is correct. TurboTax for Mac (2012) does require a 32-bit processor. When we updated the system requirements to 10.6.8 or higher, we thought that would preclude the 32-bit processor so it wasn't put on the system requirements. Only after we started shipping did we realize that we should have added 32-bit to the requirements. It was simply an error on our part, but has been added to all product materials online and at all online retailers.

If you already purchased and are on a 32-bit Mac, I encourage you to use TurboTax Online where you can transfer all prior year information as well as save the final 2012 data file to your computer. This gives you complete flexibility if/when you ultimately upgrade your hardware. Contact our support group and they will assist you in using Online without any additional cost once they validate your software purchase. Or you can do the same by contacting me at "turbotax_advocate" + "@intuit.com".

Thanks,

Bob Meighan, VP TurboTax

Feb 22, 2013 8:48 AM in response to Bob Meighan

Bob,

It certainly is to your credit that you made this informative post which explains the situation honestly and thoroughly. I'm a fan of TT, and have used it for the past three years, but I did start worrying a bit because the perception in my mind was that you guys were getting a little sloppy, even though I use 64 bit here. So I think that an open, honest explanation will add to the integrity of your product. BTW, my refund is on its way.

Wuz

iMac only rejecting TurboTax 2012 disc?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.