Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

show hidden folder

How to show hidden folders? Specifically, there is a folder called Library on my computer and I can not see it. I need to be able to open files in the folder when I am in Word or Excel. By pressing the option key, I can see the folder but I want the folder PERMANENTLY visable.

Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Feb 21, 2013 7:18 PM

8 replies

Feb 21, 2013 7:31 PM in response to cbsquestions

Open the Script Editor or AppleScript Editor in one of the subfolders of Applications and run the following:

tell application "Finder" to quit

if (do shell script "defaults read com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles") is "1" then

do shell script "defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles 0"

else

do shell script "defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles 1"

end if

delay 2

tell application "Finder" to run

If you change your mind later, run the script again.

(77374)

Feb 21, 2013 7:39 PM in response to cbsquestions

There's a terminal command to do it, but maybe this would work better...

Do like said above, but then after entering the library, press cmd and 3. That will make the folder viewable, temporarily. Then, drag it to the sidebar of finder for quick access.

If that isn't good enough...

In terminal...

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE

killall Finder

show hidden folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.