Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Empty vst/components folders

Hi,

I'm trying to install either AU or VST plugins for use in Logic Pro 9.1.8 and Mainstage 2.2.2. Everything is newly installed on a fresh OSX 10.8.2 MBP.

All the AUs and VST plugins installed with both apps are visible within both apps. However, both the ~Library/Audio/Plugins/VST and Library/Audio/Plugins/VST folder are empty (user and universal libraries). When I put a plugin in either of these folders it doesn't show in either program. Exactly the same is the case with the AU components folder.

Any ideas where I'm going wrong? Cheers

Logic Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Feb 22, 2013 4:00 AM

7 replies

Feb 22, 2013 4:09 AM in response to Crassstate

Hi

2 issues:

Neither Logic nor MS will use VST plugins (only AU versions).

The AU plugin components should be in either of the two Library:Audio:Plugins:Components folders (usually the main boot disk library).

Assuming that they are in the correct folders, (and that they are compatable with your OS) you may need to boot both Logic and/or MS in 32 bit mode to correctly scan the plugins.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3934

and

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3989

CCT

Feb 22, 2013 4:49 AM in response to CCTM

Hi,

Thanks for the reply and for pointing out the VST thing (I'm new to the Mac way of doing things).

I am running both programs in 32 bit mode already. Both the main boot disk and user AU components folders are completely empty, despite there being plenty of plugins available within the programs.

When I drop my plugin in component into either of them it does not show in the programs. Even after I've rescaned AU within Logic.

I get the feeling the solution is really obvious....thanks for your patience! R

Feb 22, 2013 5:00 AM in response to Crassstate

Hi

Crassstate wrote:

I am running both programs in 32 bit mode already. Both the main boot disk and user AU components folders are completely empty,

If you have correctly installed the plugins, they should be in these folders. Seems like they ar enot installed correctly

Crassstate wrote:

despite there being plenty of plugins available within the programs.

The Logic/MS built-in plugins or 3rd party ones?

Crassstate wrote:

When I drop my plugin in component into either of them it does not show in the programs. Even after I've rescaned AU within Logic.

It is more usual to run an installer to do all this, though sometimes one can simply add the .component files manually. Are you sure that you are using a) legit plugins (no offence), b) The versions you are installing are the latest versions that *will* work with your OS (check for updates)?

CCT

Feb 22, 2013 6:48 AM in response to CCTM

Cool.

All the plugins I have at the moment are the built in ones with Logic/MS. They were installed as part of the overall installation of both program's and i didnt see anything odd about the installation process. I'm guessing these plugins are in a separate folder to the components folders mentioned above?

The specific plugin I'm trying to install at present is the digital fish phones fish fillets. The installation instructions simply say to drop the component into the ...plugins/components folder. Although they've stopped producing plugins, the developer is still providing upgrades for new OSs.

Perhaps, off the back of your comments above I should reinstall both program's and try installing a different 3rd party plugin? Seems a bit much considering I've only just installed Logic/MS but will give it a go.

Thanks!

Feb 22, 2013 7:12 AM in response to Crassstate

Hi

The "built in" plugins are not installed as AU plugs, they are actually built in to the applications themselves. Of all that part is working correctly, there should be no need to re-install Logic or MS.

I have just downloaded and installed the 'Fish Fillets" plugin and I can confirm that it does not work on OSX 10.8.2. According to their www, the latest update was in 2005, so this is hardly surprising.

I suggest that you find the component file, and remove it from whichever library you installed it into, and Trash it.

CCT

Feb 23, 2013 7:33 AM in response to Crassstate

Couple of minor clarifications which may help further . .

1. When CCTM says:

The AU plugin components should be in either of the two Library:Audio:Plugins:Components folders (usually the main boot disk library).

Since you are new to Mac, you may not know that there are two AU component folders. One is inside the Library/Audio/Plugins/Components. This houses plugins that will be available to all users on your Mac. The other folder, ~/Library/Audio/Plugins/Components where "~" refers to your home directory (inside the "users" folder) houses plugins that are available only to you, your user account. Since you may find yourself messing within these folders quite often, they are ideal candidates to be added to your left column in the finder window as a short cut. If you are the only user on the machine, it shouldn't matter which folder you put them in, though some installers prefer one over the other for whatever reason.

2. the reason Fish Fillets is not available is that it was never ported over to the Intel Mac platform. When considering older AU plugins, one has to always check to make sure if they are Intel or "UB" (Universal Binary" which will work on intel - UB works on both Intel and the older PowerPC platform. I would suggest that Spitfish from Fish fillets is the most loved and mourned plugin that never made the transition .. .

Empty vst/components folders

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.