Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Powerbook G4 will not charge the battery

Having been away for a month I've returned home to my trusty PowerBook G4 and booted it up only to find that the battery is not charging.

The battery is relatively new, only 64 cycles and was performing perfectly normally before my departure.

Upon checking the profile the battery is seen, full charge capacity is rated as 4378 mAh, remaining capacity is 21 mAh, charged is shown as connected and rated at 65 watts but not charging.

It is not the charged as I've swapped with other machines and they charge, so it has to be the PowerBook, but is this a simple fix?

I am conversant with the inside of the machine as I've swapped the logic board previously so I'm not averse to stripping the internals out so long as I know what I'm looking for.

Looking forward to your comments.

PowerBook, Mac OS X (10.5.6), 15" Aluminium G4

Posted on Feb 22, 2013 9:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 22, 2013 11:21 AM

A PMU reset can sometimes help charging issues and, as it's quick, cheap (free), and does no harm, is a good place to start. Apple article and instructions here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1431

2 replies

Mar 11, 2013 10:15 AM in response to Allan Jones

Thanks Allan for the reply.

I've marked it that it helped me, although it did not solved the problem.

By running the PMU reset I eliminated that as a cause. Nothing changed.

Also I changed out the PRAM battery and that didn't help. When I got the Powerbook running it would run all day as long as I didn't let it go to sleep, then it wouldn't restart.

All this time I was waiting for a new main battery to arrive, which it did this morning.

I installed it and left it to see if it would charge and BINGO!

One fully charged batteryh and the PB switches on and off and sleeps and wakes up like it always did.

Thanks for your help

Regards

Peter

Powerbook G4 will not charge the battery

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.