Skip navigation

picture-in-picture crashes iMovie

836 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2013 6:45 AM by LMM53 RSS
LMM53 Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Feb 22, 2013 11:34 AM

After many, many, many, many problems exporting an iMovie, I recreated my project yet again.  I finally completed it and attempted to export it to a large format.  I have mostly still photos, with some video clips, a title sequence, and music.  iMovie crashes on export.  I broke the movie into pieces to narrow down the problem.  It appears that the problem is picture in picture.  Segments without picture in picture export.  Segments with PIP crash.  On one segment, I removed 1 PIP at a time (of 7), and attempted to export after each removal.  Crash.  After removing the last PIP, I was able to export.  I added back in 1 photo (that had been a PIP) as a regular photo and exported the movie successfully.  There is another note on this forum about changing the placement of PIP, but the solution seemed to be to upgrade iMovie.  Then I deleted it and added it back as PIP without changing the placement and it exported.  I added another PIP back in, again, not changing the placement, and it exported.  Then I got brave and added in 4 more (2x 2PIP on 1 photo each). Crash on export.  That blows the theory of it being due to changing the placement.  Then, even after removing those 4, crash on export.  Removed all PIP and movie exported.  Added one of the photos used for PIP back in as a regular photo (not PIP) and movie exported. 

Problem appears to be with PIP. 

iMac running 10.8.2 Mountain Lion.

2.8GHz Intel Core i7

8 GB memory.

iMovie 11

This is the latest OS and latest iMovie.

Any ideas?

I was intending to just finish this project and move to Final Cut Pro for the next project.  Is it time to move now?

iMovie '11, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)
  • MTech IT Calculating status...
    Currently Being Moderated
    May 14, 2013 3:29 PM (in response to LMM53)

Similar issue, but not as elaborate testing!  I started a movie with a PIP at the beginning.  Guarantee crash if I try to finalize, export, or play.  I gave the pip a 1 second delay at the start of the movie and it worked fine.  Still a bug, in my opinion.  Also, imbedding a transparent logo, use png format and match the aspect ratio of the image to the movie.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.