Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Easy to remove a few songs from my iTunes library but how about thousands?

I've searched for exact duplicates in iTunes and have about 3500! It would take forever to click and remove them one by one. There has to be an easier way. Your help would be really appreciated.

iPad, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Feb 22, 2013 11:54 AM

2 replies

Mar 22, 2013 4:52 PM in response to KidNurse1013

Have the same problem. Just found a way. You need to have iTune Match on and have songs in the cloud. Hit View/View Options. Make sure iCloud Status is checked. Organise your library according to the iCloud Status column (click on iCloud Status). This will list them in order of Matched,Uploaded,Waiting, and Duplicates. Click on the top duplicate song, scroll to the bottom duplicate song, hit and hold shift and click on that song, right click on the highlighted songs and hit delete. Finally!!

Mar 22, 2013 5:05 PM in response to KidNurse1013

Use Shift > View > Show Exact Duplicates to reveal the duplicates as this is normally a more useful selection. You need to manually select all but one of each repeating group to remove. If the duplicates were added recently sorting on date added and deleting the recent additions can be straightforward, although you'll want to make sure there really two sets of files with the same content before you throw any away otherwise you may find your remaining tracks have been broken by the clean-up process.

Use my DeDuper script if you don't want to do it by hand. Please take note of the warning to backup your library before deduping. See this thread for background.

tt2

Easy to remove a few songs from my iTunes library but how about thousands?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.