Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to unhide songs in iCloud?

I noticed in iTunes 11.0.2, when you delete a song from your library, it will also ask if you want to "Also hide this item in iCloud."

Last night, I selected all of my songs (including uploaded, matched, and purchased songs) in my library and deleted them, checking the box to also hide them in iCloud.

My questions are:

What is the purpose of just hiding them rather than deleting them?

How do I unhide them now?

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012)

Posted on Feb 22, 2013 11:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 22, 2013 11:22 AM

I think you unhide the music by adding the songs again. Unlike purchases in the cloud, there is no option available.

I don't think that there is any difference from the previous delete function. In the past when I deleted a previously uploaded song, the match process did not go through the usual upload process - all tracks were shown immediately as uploaded. This has not changed since update.

I don't see the reason for this change unless I'm missing something.

Jim

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 22, 2013 11:22 AM in response to Plant-Daddy

I think you unhide the music by adding the songs again. Unlike purchases in the cloud, there is no option available.

I don't think that there is any difference from the previous delete function. In the past when I deleted a previously uploaded song, the match process did not go through the usual upload process - all tracks were shown immediately as uploaded. This has not changed since update.

I don't see the reason for this change unless I'm missing something.

Jim

Feb 22, 2013 11:26 AM in response to Jimzgoldfinch

So, Apple is storing all of my uploaded songs on their servers even though I intended to delete them entirely?

There is no way to truely delete a song from iTunes Match, so you're going to reach the 25k limit quicker even though you don't even want some of those songs on iCloud anymore?

I don't see any point whatsoever in hiding them, especially if you cannot get them back until you add that same song again. 😕

Feb 22, 2013 11:49 AM in response to Jimzgoldfinch

That's good to hear then. So it's just a convenience thing then? If you decide to import the song again it'll quickly be found in your iTunes Match database and it will bypass the matching process, essentially giving you the link to your old file. I still don't see why Apple would want to do such a thing. Seems like a ton of wasted space storing lots of songs people thought they deleted. And there's no easy way to unhide them.

Feb 22, 2013 11:56 AM in response to Plant-Daddy

Hi,

I think your assumption is correct. One other comment to add is that my removed total will be considerably more than 8k. In an an effort to match songs over the last few month, I have converted those tracks to other formats e.g from mp3 to AAC or AAC to apple lossless. I had some success in matching them but many of those alternative versions were uploaded.

Jim

Mar 4, 2013 5:38 PM in response to inertianinja

I had to log off, then log back on because of some apple error(when isn't there one..) all the songs that i deleted before are back on my computer again. Why does apple keep forcing our hand with stuff like this? I deleted the songs for a reason. If I use a different service for cloud music will I be able to use it with the music player on my ios devices?

Mar 21, 2013 7:31 AM in response to streakin667

No you will not be able to use third party cloud services in the default music player in iOS. I believe the reason to be that it's a security risk for Apple to allow other parties access to their default music player (have you ever heard of an app being able to add music to it? Play it there? etc. No.)

However, they're are plenty of third party apps to handle that solution.

And no one forced you to pay $29.99 a year and not read the terms and conditions thouroughly.

However, I think Apple's belief in setting the right expectation was the reason for this change. You sir, had the expectation (as many of us did per Apple's mistep) that when you "delete this song from iTunes as well" - it was actually deleted. Per the terms and conditions and comments of Jimzgoldfinch we find that this was never the case. So to ensure the best customer experience and set the right expectation, they changed the wording.

That is my understanding.

Apr 28, 2013 5:18 PM in response to Plant-Daddy

Why must Apple fix things that don't need fixing? Sounds like when they got rid of the ability to delete individual songs off of your iphone.

The difficulty is that itunes match uploaded (not matched) two songs (one right after the other) from a CD that both cut out because the CD had a scratch or other junk on it. I realized this when listening to my iphone (where I had downloaded the songs via itunes match). So, I cleaned the CD thoroughly and reripped the CD to itunes - now they sound correct on the hard drive that I ripped them too. However, when I download them to my iphone via itunes match, it still has the old uploaded versions that cut out. I cannot get them to either match or upload the new version. I used to be able to delete from icloud, but now I can only hide. Any solutions to this?

Thanks,

Jeff

Apr 28, 2013 7:11 PM in response to jbrown111

Apple didn't "fix" or change anything. We concluded that the only thing that changed was the word, from "delete" to "hide." You never could delete your songs - they were always hidden, despite the fact the word said "delete." They changed it to "hide" to correctly describe the behavior.

You're right - there is no way to rematch your new songs now that they have been uploaded. I would suggest you send your feedback to Apple explaining your situation, and ask that they implement a way for users to force iTunes to rematch it, and if it does match, replace the uploaded song with the matched version. This can be done at bugreport.apple.com, orapple.com/feedback.

Apr 29, 2013 5:20 PM in response to Plant-Daddy

Hi Jeff.

Another thing you might want to check is insure that the song name, artist name and album title are exactly the same in your library as they are in iTunes. I've found this will help achieve a match - not perfect but it has worked for me.

When you are in iTunes play the preview of the song and then play the song from your library - the box at the top of the screen containing the song name, artist name and album name should be exactly the same in your library as in iTunes. If not right click on the song and select the info tab and make any necessary corrections.

Then copy the song from your iTunes library to your desktop. Delete the song in iTunes (and hide the item in the cloud). Then import the song into iTunes from your desktop. Hopefully you will get a match.

Good luck. I had to do this with all 15 of the tracks of one of my CD's. I was successful on 14 of the tracks.

Bill

How to unhide songs in iCloud?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.