Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem connecting to a HP OfficeJet Pro 8500a

I am attempting to get a HP OfficeJet Pro 8500 A909a installed on my system. The printer is succesfuly connected via ethernet to our router, my iMac (10.8.2) can easily see the device but when I attempt to connect it wants to download and install drivers from Apple, when I select Download & Install I get a message that says:

Can't install the software for the HP Officejet Pro 8500 A909a because it is not currently available from the Software Update server.

I have attempted over several days to and also downloaded and successfuly installed the January 13, 2013 HP Printer Drivers v.2.13 for OS X however that still does not work. Looking at Apple's Printer and scanner software available for download it appears the device is supported but I'm not getting anywhere.

My system is a 2011 27" iMac, 24GB RAM, Mountain Lion 10.8.2.

Anyone have some ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Roger

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Feb 22, 2013 1:52 PM

5 replies

Feb 22, 2013 6:49 PM in response to rkaufmann87

Hi Roger. Two actions that have helped some users in the past with the same issue.

1. Reset the printing system

2. Trash the contents of the HP folder in /Library/Printers

For some the reset has been enough but I've also had some cases where the removal of existing driver content is necessary.

I'm not sure what list 10.8 looks at to determine if it already has the driver installed. It appears that it doesn't check the contents of /Library/Printers, otherwise it should see the driver is already present on the Mac for most users, since they have installed the HP Driver update as you have done.

Problem connecting to a HP OfficeJet Pro 8500a

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.