Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Split screen

Does anyone know how to split the screen on a mac like you can in windows by selecting the windows key and the right/left arrow key?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Feb 22, 2013 4:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 22, 2013 5:05 PM

No such feature on OS X.

29 replies

Feb 23, 2013 12:05 PM in response to asolara

Thanks for the options. I use several programs at once and need to see them side by side. So, the swipe and window switching gets me dizzy after a while... I was just hoping that I wouldn't need to resize windows manually. It seems so outdated... especially for Apple. I'll check out the show all windows option. If I find a way, I'll post back.

Feb 23, 2013 12:57 PM in response to asolara

Well OS X didn't even have the option to resize windows for any side or corner until Lion came out. Before Lion you had to resize by the lower right hand corner only.

There are, IMHO, a lot of things lacking in OS X that have been in Windows for 15+ years. And yet Apple calls it "The Most Advanced Operating System in the World". Kind of like "It Just Works", NOT.

Good Luck and I hope you get use to it.

Feb 23, 2013 1:13 PM in response to Shootist007

So, you are not loving Apple and I'm not the only one not really liking the substitutes and the doing without things from PC/windows? I have a few more days before I can't return this mac book... and get a super pc for about a grand less. Everyone I have talked to loves this thing and swears I'll love it after I get used to it. The price I paid makes me sick and the fact that I'm giving up some super simple features that made my life easier is frustrating. I was told it's an investment and I won't have to buy another computer for 5-10 years. I usually replace my pc every 2 years or so.

Feb 23, 2013 3:03 PM in response to asolara

I won't voice my true opinion of Apple and Mac on this forum. Although I Skirt Around my feelings I am here to help other Mac users in any way I can. If that is to say "Take the system Back and get what works better for you" then I say it.

Mac is no different then a PC. They use the exact same hardware. The only real differences are the OS, the sleek shiny case, the price and it is a Closed System and getting more closed with the retina and newest iMacs that are basically Sealed Units.

IMHO there is nothing special about OS X either.

I was going to make the switch totally until I actually got a Mac. I've had 3. One early in 2011 another at Thanksgiving 2011 and the one I have now. The first 2 were 13" models. The first one I used for 4 days and said this isn't for me and took it back. The second I had for 12 days and said What the Heck am I doing, I use a PC for work and I have to because of the programs I need. So I iinstall XP into a Virtual Machine but the CAD program I use almost daily didn't react the same way as on a real PC (No I don't do dual boot. Did tyhat back in the 90s and will never again). So I took that one back and bought a Dell E6420, which I am typing this post on (I'm at work). The third was a 15" model and so far I've kept it. I do have a XP virtual machine installed on the Mac but rarely use it. It is my home portable system. But my main system is a PC desktop I built myself 2+ years ago running Win 7 and a VM of XP for older software that need.

In the end conputers are tools for me. I also do a little Tech support as a hobby and second small income and that is one reason I bought the thrid Mac and still have it. Some of the people I do computer work for own Macs and Yes they Need Help all the time.

Good Luck & Best Wishes with whatever you do.

Split screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.