Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Maximum RAM for mid-2010 MacBook Pro-13"

When I purchased my mid-2010 MacBook Pro-13 inch it stated that the maximum RAM was 8 Gb. I have upgraded to 8 Gb of RAM but would like to go to 16 gb– is that now possible?

Best regards,

Steve

23 Feb 2013

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion, Also a Mac SE running 6.0.4 - not upgrading that!

Posted on Feb 22, 2013 10:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 22, 2013 10:52 PM

Now it is - thanks to OWC - see http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/Apple_MacBook_MacBook_Pro/Upgrade/DDR3 and note:

MacBook Pro 13.3" 2.4GHz (All) Supports 16.0GB

Just give them a ring, or contact them via Live Chat.

Good luck,

Clinton

14 replies

Feb 23, 2013 2:30 AM in response to clintonfrombirmingham

Thanks very much for the fast and informative reply!

I will have to see if I can get this shipped to BELGIUM--- With SugarSync running all the time, and DropBox some of the time, along with a bunch of programs always open, even 8 gb of RAM runs down to the 1 to 1.5 gb free all the time. I use "Free Memory" to automatically free up memory, but when it activates, my Mac slows to a crawl for 2-4 minutes while it frees up memory… I think 16 gb would really help. (And going to an SSD drive too! - but should I just hold on all this and keep my mid-2010 MBP-13" as is and put the $$$'s towards a new MBA? But I want 512 gb of SSD-- is that possible in a MBA? I'll have to study all this.

Thanks again and any comments appreciated.

Best regards,

Steve Schulte

Saturday 23 February 2013

Feb 23, 2013 2:40 AM in response to Stephen Schulte1

OWC has a live-chat (24 hours a day, I believe) and they do ship internationally at very reasonable rates. I've 16GB of RAM in my 15" late 2011 and actually use up to 15.4GB (the last I checked) as I'm running Parallels with 6GB dedicated to Windows 7.

I'm not sure if you can configure a MBA with 512GB - let me check - yes, you can, for an extra $300US - but it's only configurable to 8GB of RAM. If I were you, I'd just keep the 2010 13" and put in a Crucial 512GB m4 series SSD (and I can recommend it because that's what I have!). I just don't care for the 'closed' Air and Retina design!

Good luck!

Clinton

Feb 23, 2013 2:48 AM in response to clintonfrombirmingham

Thanks for covering both my concerns! If my mid-2010 MBP-13" can really go to 16 gb (and it seems it can! - system hardware info below) then with a 512 SSD drive (which it seems I can install myself) it should be ± $600 to seem like a new Mac. And my 3-year warrenty which expires end April 2013 will still be valid until then, I believe.

Appreciate any further comments even if I've called this solved!

Best regards,

Steve Schulte

Saturday 23 February 2013

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro7,1

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 3 MB

Memory: 8 GB

Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz

Boot ROM Version: MBP71.0039.B0E

SMC Version (system): 1.62f7

Serial Number (system): W80165Y3ATP

Hardware UUID: 137B5C9E-9543-5546-A9CB-CB628CECC255

Sudden Motion Sensor:

State: Enabled

Feb 23, 2013 3:26 AM in response to Stephen Schulte1

My 2010 MBP owners manual gives instructions on replacing RAM and a HDD. These items will be excluded from the Apple warranty, but the rest of your MBP will still be under warranty, unless you do damage to the MBP during the installation.

Get a #00 Phillips and a #6 Torx drivers. Get good ones, with magnetic tips and handles with swivels. They make a difference.

Ciao.

Feb 23, 2013 3:42 AM in response to Stephen Schulte1

See my little (and only) user tip - https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-4741 - I'm not trying to force Crucial down your throat (yes I am - and they have a UK site - http://www.crucial.com/uk/ - that ships all over Europe I believe) but read my little tip and look at Sean's site. Note that they mainly deal with Windows machines and one thing I particularly like about Crucial is that the firmware can be updated using a Mac... but there's some good advice there.

Clinton

Maximum RAM for mid-2010 MacBook Pro-13"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.