Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad iOS 6.1.2 update causing excessive battery drain

I have noticed in other discussions that a number of iPhone users have experienced excessive battery drain after updating to iOS 6.1.2.

I am now experiencing this problem in a big way after updating to iOS 6.1.2 on an iPad 3. Prior to this update, my battery life was very good, dropping to only 70% to 80% at the end of a typical day of use.

After the update, which was said to be to fix a previious Mail Exchange battery drain issue (one that I was not experiencing), my battery was dropping to 30% after a few hours. It was literally like holding a bucket with a hole in the bottom and watching the water drain out.

I noticed that my Usage time and Standby time were identical, even though the ipad had been in sleep mode much of the time. This indicates to me that something about this patch is causing the iPad not to actually sleep when in sleep mode.

The iPhone discussion forums point to a number of possible fixes, including uninstalling all emails and re-installing them all the way to a total erasure and reinstalation of everything. This worked for some, but not for all victims of this problem.

Until Apple recognizes this problem and sends out another update, one less painful solution that worked for me was to change all of my email accounts from Push to Fetch every 15 minutes. This has stopped the problem for me, for now. so I wanted to share this in case anyone else is experiencing similar problems.

If other community members have discovered other short term or long term fixes then please do post here.

Apple, I await an update that will allow me to restore Push functionality, or instructions on what steps will work to properly restore full functionality (what to remove and reinstall etc).

iPad, iOS 6.1.2, excessive battery drain

Posted on Feb 22, 2013 11:23 PM

11 replies

Feb 28, 2013 10:32 AM in response to G A E

No, but an update that causes the battery to drain rapidly, overheat and eventually push over current would brick an iPad, which is exactly why my new one is on it's way to me in the mail as we speak.

I'm not an idiot; I know a simple settings change won't brick an iPad. But improperly configured firmware that drains the battery rapidly will both cause heat issues, and potentially over-current and voltage spikes, which could in turn brick the iPad.

Apparently, Apple agrees with me.

Feb 28, 2013 5:59 PM in response to G A E

Indeed. I am a bit aghast that Apple is having this problem apparently across all of their iOS product line. When I look at the iPhone problem posts, it is clear that there is a history of battery drain problems that appear following most of the past updates, but not for all users. This would seem to point to an update system architecture design problem that they have had for some time and can't seem to fix. This could be the Big Stumble for Apple. I am starting to lose a bit of faith...

Mar 5, 2013 1:18 AM in response to G A E

Just to confirm that I have the same problem. I updated to iOS6.1.2 on Friday 1 March 2013, I have an iPad2. And Saturday morning my iPad was 0% after having nodded off on a 78% full battery. This has NEVER happened before, and has become a dailyoccurrence. I have now amended my Mail to fetch and hope it works.

Sep 8, 2013 5:30 PM in response to G A E

I to loosing faith in apple. Our I phone 4S's both have short life and our I pad now has short life.

I think its over for apple in our home ! I even went as far to replace the i phone battery only to find these posts about them having soft ware troubles

Now I cant watch video taken on my phone says its connected to tv ? Where this crap come from ?

Apple needs to jump on this one. Between AT&T high prices for phone service compaired to some others and apple troubles, seems like a change is comming fast here !!

iPad iOS 6.1.2 update causing excessive battery drain

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.