9 Replies Latest reply: Feb 23, 2013 1:14 AM by Paul_31
rony-z Level 1 (20 points)

Hello.

I'm Selling my iMac ,

How can I delete the present Admin User (Me)  ?

The new owner will make a new Admin user ...

Thanks

Screen Shot 2013-02-23 at 10.12.15 AM.png

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion, 10.8.2
  • Paul_31 Level 6 (13,645 points)

An erase and re-install of the OS that came with the Mac would be the best way to go.

• rony-z Level 1 (20 points)

Thanks. but its a bit difficult for me to do it ...

If your machine came with MLion installed you can ignore my following comments as Mountain Lion would be tied to the machine rather than your AppleID.

This can get a bit complicated, but if your Mac was sold when new with an earlier OS than 10.8 the potential purchaser could have problems in the future. The machine should be sold with the OS it came with, together with any install/restore disks that came with the computer.

If you upgraded to MLion during your ownership the OS is tied to your AppleID, not the machine. If the buyer at some point in the future needed to re-install the OS he would have problems as they wouldn't have an OS that was accredited to their ownership. They could then buy it, but it's possible that would require an erase and install and can all get a bit messy. Much better to go the 'official' way.

Out of interest, why is it difficult for you to do. If you need any help there are plenty here that would be happy to assist.

Thanks.

My iMac upgraded to MLion during my ownership .

I received it with Lion OS X .

Is it possible just to change User instead ?

You could, but it wouldn't be as secure as an erase and reinstall. Although Lion had no install disk the buyer would still have the same potential problems as detailed above if you sell it with Mountain Lion on the machine. Yes you could add a new user with admin privileges and then delete your account. Not sure whether that would completely erase all your data from prying eyes,

Why not use Internet Recovery (part of Lion/Mountain Lion) to erase and restore back to Lion. OK it'll be a big download but it gets round all the potential issues (Lion is tied to the machine so you won't have to pay for it).

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4718 (I think restarting and holding Command+Option+r takes you internet recovery).

OK ,

Thanks !

Ill do as you recommend .

It should be plain sailing - good luck. I bet you don't have any problems selling the machine.

It's to my son , at the price of  $ 0.00

I know the feeling. I've done several deals like that with my son.