Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Creating/running Terminal command with Automator

I am using Parallels Desktop on my iMac. Occasionally after I shutdown Parallels Desktop/Windows the ram it used is not released back, for example, depending on what I'm running in Parallels Desktop I can use upto around 16GB or ram. Ocassionally when I shutdown Windows and in doing that Parallels Desktop too, this ram level does not go back down. I find that going into Terminal and entering the purge command puts the ram level down to what it was before I loaded up Parallels Desktop.

I was wondering if its possible to use Automator to create a shortcut that I could then either place on my Desktop or Dock and when needed I could just double click on it and it would then load Terminal and then the purge command?

Or is there another way that I could automate the purge command?

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), iPad (3rd Gen) 32GB iPhone 5 32GB

Posted on Feb 23, 2013 1:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 23, 2013 3:35 AM

I managed to work it out for myself.

I done the following:

In Automator I chose Application/Run Shell Script. In the box that appeared in the right side I entered purge. I then saved it to my desired location and I then dragged it onto the Dock for easy access.

1 reply

Creating/running Terminal command with Automator

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.