Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trial version is out of date. When will 10.0.7 be available for trial?

I'm using the trial version (10.0.6) and found a bug burning single layer DVDs, also reported and discussed extensively on this forum.

Supposedly this is fixed in 10.0.7 (or so the release notes claim) But I'm understandably skeptical.

I'd like to TRY before I BUY this $300 software package.

Q1: Does anybody know how to upgrade the trial to the latest version? I still have 22 days left in my trial.

Q2: If that's not possible, does anyone know Apple's plans.. are they going to update the FCPX 30-day trial webpage to 10.0.7 anytime soon?

Oh, by the way, Please don't suggest buying CompressorX for $49.99 as a work-around. FCPX is supposed to be able to do this rather simple job itself. But there is a bug. The whole point of the trial is to see if the software works. Currently the answer is NO, so I'm not going to fork over 50 bucks for some other piece of software based on Apple saying "trust us, THIS software DOES work (even though you can't test it yourself prior to purchase)." That is a non-starter.

Thanks

Final Cut Pro X, Mac OS X (10.6.8), MacPro 10gb Radeon 5700 OS10.8.6

Posted on Feb 23, 2013 12:14 AM

10 replies

Feb 23, 2013 5:15 AM in response to Inquisitor85

Inquisitor85 wrote:

I'm using the trial version (10.0.6) and found a bug burning single layer DVDs, also reported and discussed extensively on this forum.

Just because someone – including multiple posters – reports a problem doesn't mean it's a "bug". Most always it means that there is something specific to their system – like a corrupted file, or a plug-in conflict with the app. I've tested DVD burning from FCP and Compressor for all versions since 10.0.3 on multiple machines without problems.

The whole point of the trial is to see if the software works. Currently the answer is NO, so I'm not going to fork over 50 bucks for some other piece of software based on Apple saying "trust us, THIS software DOES work (even though you can't test it yourself prior to purchase)."

Provide the specifics of your project – including where the clips you're using came from –and what you're attempting to do that doesn't work. If you provide the information it's likely that someone here can help you.

Russ

Feb 23, 2013 1:32 PM in response to Russ H

Hi Russ, thanks for responding.

Here you go: I'm not an expert, so this may be more info than necessary, but I'm trying to answer all questions in advance.

I'm using video files from two different HD cameras, both shot in 1080i (1920X1080, 29.97i), stereo sound @ 48Khz. Each contains their own audio-track from the on-camera audio.

I imported all the clips with the "create optimized media" box checked to create pro-res 422 files for editing.

I synched them manually into multi-cam clips using a slate (which was fortunate because the difference in sound levels meant that FCPX's attempt to auto-synch failed), and cut & edited them into a completed project.

I know that DVD resolution is not HD, but I wanted the best original source material so I shot and edited in HD anyway. I know FCPX will compress the final result down to DVD resolution, and that's cool.

The completed project is 1 hour 50 minutes long. I added 68 chapter markers. (the project is for a school talent show which had 68 acts) Editing went fine and I'm happy with the finished project. My fellow parents are anxious to see the finished DVD.

So, after a week's work, I'm now trying to create the DVD image on my hard drive, for later burning to disks.

From FCPX, I'm selecting File>Share>DVD.

In the DVD window, the "info" tab is giving me an estimated size of 3.84GB.

This should fit on a standard single-layer DVD-R (capacity 4.7G (4.38gig), or 2+ hours of video)

There is no option to change any of the "info" settings, it's just standard DVD resolution (720X480, Stereo 48Khz, time 1:50:17:06, 2 files)

I click "settings" tab and choose these settings including "single layer":

Output Device: Hard Drive

Layers: Single-layer

Disk Template: Black

When Disk Loads: Show menu

Markers: checked "Use Chapter Markers as subtitles"

Background: [a 970kb JPG still image]

Clicking next and specifying an external hard drive with 1+TB of free space, FCPX goes to work, and, after about 50 minutes, creates a finished DVD image file that is.... 6.7G's.

Whoops! too big to fit on a single layer DVD.

So, what am I doing wrong?

I sure hope the problem is me rather than the software, but I doubt it, since the same problem has been reported on these forums here, here, here, and here.

All previous posters reported the problem arising in 10.0.6, the same version Apple offers as a trial. The 10.0.7 version release notes state "Fixes an issue that could occur when creating a single layer DVD." But I can't get a trial of the 10.0.7 to test this.

The work-arounds which were posted in response to those earlier forum posts were either to use a dual-layer disc (non-starter, as most parents will want to watch these DVDs on their stand-alone DVD players hooked up to their TV, most of which won't play dual-layer media) or export a master file then use Compressor X. (which supposedly works but there's no trial version to verify this and I'm not up for spending 50 bucks to find out.)

So, can you help me? I sure hope I'm doing something wrong because I really want this to work.

Thanks so much.

Feb 23, 2013 2:32 PM in response to Inquisitor85

Well, I do think it's a size issue and would not expect it to fit on 10.7 either. It's the way FCP calculates the bit rate for DVD's lomger than roughly 60 minutes. It gets reduced above that time but it's still too high when you start pushing toward 2 hours.

People who suggested Compressor are on the right track because Compressor gives you the necessary controls to adjust the bit-rate to whatever it takes to fit on the disk. (Compressor can do many more things but I'm not interested in being an evangelist for it.)

An alternative is to find someone who has an older version of iLife and see whether iDVD will encode to a DVD-5. (iDVD will, by the way, recognize those chapters.)

Since you don't want to mess with dual layer (and I don't blame you), a second alternative (and the one I would choose in your situation) would be to break the 1:50 project into two projects and share to two disks. It will be better quality than the DVD-5 burned out of Compressor…and you'll save the $50.

BTW, here's a heads-up. Since you're doing multiple copies – count on it – a parent will come to you a month from now with a request for one more – make a disk image and burn copies in Disk Utility as you need them.

Hope something here helps.

Good luck.

Russ

Feb 23, 2013 2:23 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

It's a common misconception that "home burnt" DVD media is the same as commercially produced Hollywood DVD's. They're not.

Commercially-produced DVD's are "stamped" from a gold-plated master disk, not "burnt" on recordable DVD+R DL media in an optical drive.

Most stand-alone DVD players WILL play the stamped media, but WON'T play DVD+R DL dual-layer media recorded on a super-drive.

I looked into getting universally-playable dual-layer disks made here in Seattle, but local duplication shops charge several hundred dollars to create a gold master and stamp a batch of disks. Not realistic for me.

All I want is for the software to do what it says it can do, make regular DVD's for regular folks.

Seems like a pretty core feature, to burn a finished project onto what is still, by far, the most common media format on the planet.

Sigh.

Feb 23, 2013 2:31 PM in response to Russ H

Thanks Russ, those are good tips.

I did last year's project on my wife's 2006-era macbook using iMovie and iDVD, and it was a NIGHTMARE to edit, but at least the finished product worked. (rendering took about 16 hours though LOL)

You're right about keeping a "master" copy when done. I've had several requests for last year's show.

How would I go about sharing my edited file with iDVD, preserving the chapter markers? I didn't know it could do that. Would I first make a "master file" (quick-time .mov) and import that?

Feb 23, 2013 2:35 PM in response to Inquisitor85

Inquisitor85 wrote:

How would I go about sharing my edited file with iDVD, preserving the chapter markers? I didn't know it could do that. Would I first make a "master file" (quick-time .mov) and import that?

That's exactly what you would do.

And the call you made at the beginning to shoot HD was the right one, Starting out with the highest quality you can makes a big difference – even though it's later going to be squished to SD.

Russ

Feb 23, 2013 3:05 PM in response to Russ H

Cool! Ok I already had a master file ready, so now I've got the file into iDVD and it looks pretty good. However, I don't see the text of the chapter markers, only the thumbnails.

(this is the opposite of what happened when I let FCPX create the DVD menus, by the way)

I know we're well off the original topic now, but you seem to be a real expert. I saw some talk on another forum about how to do this, but it wasn't clear. Can you tell me how to get the text of the chapter markers into iDVD?

Thanks so much

Feb 23, 2013 3:21 PM in response to Inquisitor85

Actually, Tom Wolsky is the FCP expert.

We just had a thread about Chapter text descriptions not making the trip successfully between FCPX and iDVD. It sees the chapters correctly but doesn't do the complete transfer. Maybe someone else knows of a work-around and will chime in, but I couldn't find on…sorry to say.

Russ

Trial version is out of date. When will 10.0.7 be available for trial?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.