Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Automator & Terminal question

I have a regular used Terminal command that I use often.

This one:

ls -al /var/log/*.out

I was wondering if I could create something with Automator that would load up Terminal then automatically enter/paste the above command. Then all that would be needed for me to do would be to press enter?

I would need Terminal to load up/appear as I would need to see the result of the entered command.

Thanks in advance 🙂

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), iPad (3rd Gen) 32GB iPhone 5 32GB

Posted on Feb 23, 2013 3:41 AM

2 replies

Feb 23, 2013 3:01 PM in response to Niel

Niel wrote:

Open the AppleScript Editor in the /Applications/Utilities/ folder and paste in the following:

do shell script "ls -al /var/log/*.out"

Save the script and set it as a login item in the Users & Groups pane of System Preferences.

(77441)

Thanks Niel for the help.

So now that I have an icon created from doing what you mentioned earlier. Do I just double click on the icon, then when the Apple Script Editor window appears, do I just click on the Run button, and then the result of the ls -al /var/log/*.out will be displayed in the bottom part?

Automator & Terminal question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.