Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Automator: Create 3 folders resize images and move .mov files?

Hi there,

I am new to automator but would like to learn how to use it.

On daily basis I get a bunch of pictures and videos in high resolution.

I would like to automate the following process:

1. Create 3 folders: HQ, LQ, video

2. Move the original high resulution .jpeg files to HQ folder

3. Resize the files to 800x600px (landscape) or 600x800px (portrait) and save them in LQ

4. Move the .mov video files into video folder

5. Rename all JPEG files in LQ to a value that I can enter at this time (for example I type "3 bedroom apartment munich" and it will rename it to "3 bedroom apartment munich-1.jpg, ...-2.jpg, ...3.jpg, ...)

Is this even possible with automator or do I have to use additional tools like "A Better Finder Rename 9"?

Looking forward for some input to get started. Thanks for all who help me to get my daily job done much faster.

Cheers,

Chris

Posted on Feb 23, 2013 2:07 AM

2 replies

Feb 23, 2013 4:58 AM in response to c.eiermann

It can all be done in Automator, no need for 3rd party utilities.

You need to start by at least getting familiar with the way Automator works. Look at some of these examples to help you get your head around how to build workflows from the building blocks, or Actions.

What you're asking for is rather more complex than those examples. Your finished workflow will have quite a number of steps and will involve setting variables.

You'll need to decide:

Where are the original files? In a folder, or an email?

Where would you create the new folders?

Do you want a new set of folders every day?

It's definitely worth having a go at, results should be helpful.

Automator: Create 3 folders resize images and move .mov files?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.