Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

TARGET MODE. iMac late 2012 <-> MacbookPro mid 2010.

Hello,

I have a MacBook Pro Mid 2010 with miniport and a 27" iMac late 2012.

By what i researched till now i couldn't find a solution on how to do it. Would like to know if anyone have any...

Just wondering If i convert the miniport on the macbook pro to hdmi and the iMac thunderbolt to hdmi could it work?

All the best.

iMac, iOS 6.1.2, target mode

Posted on Feb 23, 2013 3:37 AM

14 replies

Feb 23, 2013 12:22 PM in response to who_simons

Oops. Ignore my last comment.

The Apple article says that a Thunderbolt iMac can only be used as an external display for another Thunderbolt Mac.

Instead, you can use a VNC client as ScreenRecycler to use the iMac as an external display for the MacBook Pro. This app uses your network to connect both Macs, and you don't need any cable

Feb 23, 2013 4:37 PM in response to rkaufmann87

hi Rkaufmann87,

I thought of it but for my purpuses it doesnt fit. I work with cg and the MBA don't offer the performance i need, by the other hand its not in my budget getting another 15" MBP.

Target display mode would fit perfect, so i could use both maschines in a eficient way.

Apple shold work a way around for users in the same situation as me.

Thanks, cheers

Feb 23, 2013 4:52 PM in response to who_simons

While I agree it would be nice if Apple had a work around it's not in their best interest so I seriously doubt you will ever see that happen. Plus it may be technically impossible or if possible the Apple may have decided the user experience wasn't up to their standards. But that is all irrellivant, the bottom line is if you want TDM with high performance you need a new laptop.

BTW, I'm in the same boat owner of a late 2010 MBA and a 2011 27" iMac with Thunderbolt.

TARGET MODE. iMac late 2012 <-> MacbookPro mid 2010.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.