Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will there be a fix to the low image resolutions in Photostream between the iPhone?

Photostream problems arise in the highly inadequate process Apple has currently set up. Once an image is taken by an iPhone they are automatically uploaded to photostream....

...This is where the troubles begin.

Should you then download that newly taken/uploaded image to an iPad (iOs) via Photostream for the purpose of editing, it will have it's resolution reduced automatically (no choice of the user). Converserly, should you download that same newly taken/uploaded image via Photostream onto your desktop/laptop (MacOs), surprisingly it will be the original size in which it was taken w/ no reductions in the resolution.

WHY?

Apple, please fix this, otherwise this makes using photostream on my ipad for image transfer/edit (for larger screen real estate), totally obsolete!

This is very frustrating as this is one of the main reasons why I purchased an ipad in the first place.

Photostream, iphone, ipad

Posted on Feb 23, 2013 8:26 AM

13 replies

Feb 23, 2013 1:19 PM in response to srgtgideon

Now I'm out of my area of familarity. Don't have iPhoto for iOS so can't do any testing to see if that is normal or not.

Run a test: email of of the photos to yourself and save it to the Desktop. Then check to see what the pixel dimensions are. If they are correct then the problem lies at the iPad end of the chain. Is there a setting on the iPad somewhere for reducing the photos to save space?

Apr 28, 2013 11:01 AM in response to DrJOnes666

FWIW this is what I found regarding Photo Stream photo sizes:

What resolution are My Photo Stream photos?

On your Mac or PC, your photos are downloaded and stored in full resolution. On your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Apple TV, your Photo Stream photos are delivered in a device-optimized resolution that speeds downloads and saves storage space. While actual dimensions will vary, an optimized version of a photo taken by a standard point-and-shoot camera will have a 2048 x 1536 pixel resolution when pushed to your devices. Panoramic photos can be up to 5400 pixels wide.

It's from this Apple document: iCloud: Photo Stream FAQ

You can send a feature request or complain to Apple via http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphoto.html or Apple - iCloud - Feedback

Apr 28, 2013 11:55 AM in response to Old Toad

Thanks Old Toad. i will certainly send the suggestion.

About the note on resolutiions found in the FAQ,

Yes, on Mac and PC the photos from the photostream are downloaded in original resolution. This doesn't solve the problem on the iPad. In fact, it just goes to show how idiotic and flawed the logic behind the photostream is.

On the AppleTV it makes sense to "optimize" the photos in lower resolution. The AppleTv is a VIEWER.

On the other hand, the iPad is a computer. It is a device where the user can edit his photos, just like the PC or Mac.

Apr 28, 2013 12:35 PM in response to DrJOnes666

On the other hand, the iPad is a computer. It is a device where the user can edit his photos, just like the PC or Mac.

If you look at iPhoto on IOS, you will notice, that it is no way designed to support editing of photos you want to use on your mac. It is designed for sharing photos on the web and in the cloud - create web journals, share by mail, include into document.

But for serious photography, if you want to use the iPad to make some preliminary edits while on the road, and then download the tagged and edited photos onto your mac and to continue the work, forget it.

For one, the iPad can import raw images, but does not do any raw processing. You will only edit and see the embedded jpegs.You cannot do much tagging on the iPad. You cannot sync the albums you create back to your mac.

iPhoto on IOS is far from iPhoto on your Mac. So far, it is a program for sharing, and not much editing.

Léonie

Apr 28, 2013 1:33 PM in response to léonie

IPhoto on the iPad does support RAW images by the way, and other apps too. But that is past the point of the original question at hand.

When I take photos with my iPhone at 8MP, I expect to be able to edit them using apps on my iPhone and my iPad in the native resolution of the photo I took in the first place. The Photostream cripples the resolution of said photos, and that is not only unacceptable, it is clearly counter productive AND totally illogical.

Apr 28, 2013 2:03 PM in response to DrJOnes666

IPhoto on the iPad does support RAW images by the way, and other apps too.

That depends on what you are calling "support". If you read the iPhoto documentation carefully, you will see, that iPhoto does not do any more than import and store the raw files, but cannot edit the. For browsing the embedded jpeg preview will be displayed, and if you edt the raw image, the edited image will be derived from the jpeg preview. The raw file will never be developed.

See: Using RAW images with iPhoto for iOS: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5182

When you import a RAW image to your iPad, iPhoto will display only the JPEG version of the image embedded in the RAW file. When editing a RAW image in iPhoto, the edits are derived from the embedded JPEG, and saved in JPEG format.

You cannot email RAW images from iPhoto, but you can share unedited RAW images to iTunes:

1. Tap one of the photos you want to share to iTunes.
  2. Tap the share icon, and select iTunes from the options that appear.
  3. Follow the prompts to select one or more images to send to iTunes.
  4. In iTunes, select your device, and choose Apps.
  5. Scroll down to File Sharing.
  6. Select iPhoto, and then your photos. Click "Save to...".

If you made any edits to your image, iPhoto will send a JPEG version to iTunes instead.

If you import RAW+JPEG images, iPhoto will display and export the JPEG version.

Nowhere is stated, that iPhoto can process raw images.

With respect to the photo stream - believe, I am not happy with it, as it is. My post was meant to support your statement.

The IOS devices are computers, but not yet up to serious, high resolution image processing. Everything is reduced to smaller resolutions and only easy to navigate, if you only work with a small set set of images, not with a large photo library, which is o.k. for web sharing and emailing, but not for preprocessing the images for further edits on your computer.

Just try to delete 500 images at once from the iPad, when you are running out of storage. You will have to select them one by one, to delete them.

Apr 28, 2013 2:02 PM in response to léonie

That is way beyond the original point anyway, as we simply cannot shoot raw images with the iphone. We can however shoot high resolution images with the iphone, and apps are available on the iphone and on the ipad to edit them. So why on earth cripple the Photostream photo resolution and not allow the user to edit those photos in their full resolution? It's like: here's a tool to take high res photos (iphone), here's another tool to edit them (iPad), here's a tool to sync the photos between the two devices (photostream): but the synced photos are in lower resolution. Errr, Whaaaat? THAT makes no sense at all.

Apr 28, 2013 2:12 PM in response to DrJOnes666

See my edit above - you are to quick to respond!

That is way beyond the original point anyway, as we simply cannot shoot raw images with the iphone.

My Canon camera shoots raw&jpeg pairs, and when I am on vacation I like to import the photos onto my iPad to browse them.

I am sure, anybody who is travelling with iPad and camera will like to browse the pictures this way. The retina display is great for that.

The iPad will import the raw - there is no option to prevent the import of the raw and only import the jpeg, but the raw will be useless on the iPad, since it will only fill the storage, but be completely ignored.

Oct 21, 2014 8:16 AM in response to srgtgideon

I too am frustrated by this issue. I have the new iPhone 6 and have fallen in love with shooting pictures with it. The screen is too small to process images efficiently using a number of apps that I have purchased. I would like to edit on my iPad and then print some of them. The iPad's 2000+ x 1500+ pixels is just too small. The iPhone 3200 pixels is ok, but I loose that when I use the iPad. I end up editing all my photos on the tiny little iPhone screen, when my iPad sits on the table next to me. Have you found any kind of work around? They have take a potentially wonderful tool and made it almost worthless for photographers.

Will there be a fix to the low image resolutions in Photostream between the iPhone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.