Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Acrobat Reader Updater won't quit trying to install old version.

I have Acrobat Reader 11.0.x installed on my MacBook Pro with Mac OS X 10.8.2. Every few days Adobe Reader Updater launches automatically and a dialog appears saying: "An update for Adobe Reader to version 10.1.x is available. Do you want to install it now?"

I do not have Acrobat Reader 10.x installed, so if I click "yes" the upgrader eventually fails, if I click "no" the dialog reappears in a few days.

The crazy part is that I've repeatedly tried deleting the Acrobat Reader Updater application itself, but it simply reappears a few days later (regardless of whether I reboot or log out, I usually stay logged in for days/weeks unless there's some reason to restart). There must be some other Adobe software that is reinstalling it. The location of the installer doesn't change:

(user-domain)/Library/Caches/com.adobe.reader.ARM/5d916e0e884c6d87be44b1a6ff8c22 534ed1670778ec8a4311eacdc1/Adobe Reader Updater.app

The app itself is version 10.1.4

Again, if I delete this file, it simply reappears within a day or so, and yet no visible reinstallation takes place.

So I'm trying to figure out what is reinstalling this app and how to make it go away permanently.

Any suggestions?

I've tried deleting Acrobat Reader 11.x, and reinstalling, but that does nothing. And there is no Acrobat Reader 10.x app on my volume. It almost seems like I need to run an Acrobat Reader 10.x uninstaller, but there is no such thing.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), Acrobat Reader 11.0.1

Posted on Feb 23, 2013 8:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 23, 2013 8:53 AM

You might try Adobe support since this is their mess. But, maybe this will help:

The real way to disable Adobe Updater from your Mac OS X

7 replies

Feb 23, 2013 9:13 AM in response to CT

Thanks, that looks very promising. I've deleted the LaunchAgent file(s) and hopefully that will permanently solve the problem.

The Adobe forums was my next stop, but I've posted there before, and rarely have gotten a helpful response. On the other hand, searching/posting to the Apple Discussion forums have almost always solved any problems I've encountered. Usually right away, so this place is the best. Thanks for your help CT!

Feb 23, 2013 9:39 AM in response to sig

Well, I did try that after 11.0.1 was released, but that didn't solve it. I see that 11.0.2 is out now, so I have just updated to it as well. My suspicion is the LaunchAgent tip is the more promising one, but only time will tell. Hopefully between the both of them this annoyance will finally go away!

Thanks!

Mar 30, 2013 2:47 PM in response to don.aehl

I finally did find the solution. My MacBook Pro hard drive has three bootable partitions (one for Mountain Lion, Snow Leopard, and Windows 7). Anyway, I normally boot into 10.8, but I finally decided to try deleting Acrobat Reader from my Snow Leopard partition. That finally solved it. For some reason, the Adobe updater running on my boot partition was also scanning for applications on other partitions, but only actually trying to update the programs inside the boot partition's Application folder. Very odd. Now that only one copy of Acrobat is installed on both of my Mac OS X partitions, the problem has gone away. It's been weeks and no more annoying obsolete update notifications.

Acrobat Reader Updater won't quit trying to install old version.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.