Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Facetime HD camera settings? the brightness on my camera is set too high, faces are washed out. where can I adjust this?

I have an iMac late 2012 running OS X 10.8.2. The facetime camera is too bright, faces are washed out. Is there a way to adjust the setting of the camera? It seems like the brightness for the camera needs to be turned down. I have looked for camera settings in the system preferences but did not find them. Thank you.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), Facetime HD Camera settings

Posted on Feb 23, 2013 10:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 23, 2013 3:43 PM

There are no camera settings which you can use to address this problem. About the only thing you can due is to adjust the lighting to a level which will allow a reasonable exposure to your face.

11 replies

Apr 11, 2013 8:28 AM in response to thuleok

Same here with my iMac 27 (Late 2012). I am really disappointed about the quality of the FaceTime HD Camera. The one I had in my Cinema HD Display (the camera was not HD) was much better.

Is it a problem of my iMac or is the quality of every FaceTime Camera in new iMacs so poor? My iPad 3 and my iPhone 4S got better FaceTime cameras.

Apr 19, 2013 5:30 AM in response to Uelef

What is the brightness of the background to the room you are in? If it is predominantly dark behind you then the auto exposure will try and compensate but in the process it will wash out faces. Evenly exposed scenes will display correctly.

Solution: tun on lights in room to illumiate evenly. avoid contrast. Get closer to camera...then your face will occupy majority of frame and the exposure will be adjusted to accommodate the predominate subject.. your face.

Apr 23, 2013 6:00 AM in response to Joram Rozewicz

Joram Rozewicz wrote: ... APPLE, please include ...

(1) You are NOT writing to Apple here!

As explained in the Discussions Help & Terms of Use,

http://discussions.apple.com/static/apple/tutorial/etiquette.html

these discussions "... enable community members to help each other ..." :

(2) In addition to posting here in this user discussion forum,

you can use iMac Feedback

http://www.apple.com/feedback/imac.html

to send comments or suggestions directly to Apple.

You will not get an answer, but you can be certain that Apple

will see your input for consideration in future products.

(3) To offer Feedback on other Apple products, use Product Feedback

for the product most closely related to your concerns:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/

Message was edited by: EZ Jim

Mac OSX 10.8.3

Sep 29, 2016 1:43 PM in response to EZ Jim

Even though you are not communicating with Apple, this is a good venue to list the problems going on at Apple. Apple Feedback does not appear to be effective, as I've been using it for years and haven't seen one of my feedback issues resolved.

For example: I've reported the Move & Scale issue of the lock screen photo since iOS 7 was released September 18, 2013. It's been over three years and we've gone through iOS 7, 8, 9 and now 10, with all the different versions of each, and I've reported the issue there each time a new update comes out without a fix, and still no repair from Apple. Not one of the issues I've reported over the years has ever been fixed using feedback. When one is fixed that I've reported on that system, I'll consider it effective. Until then, it is just a place that Apple uses to keep people from writing it up here.

Until then, we'd all like a way to adjust the blooming out without someone suggesting that I sit against my back wall to make my face look less bright or buying another software or app to get basic features to work on Apple systems. Work arounds are for PC and Microsoft users. Working correctly is for Apple... or it used to be.

Apple needs settings to keep people from looking like a white sheet, using their BUILT IN CAMERAS, period.

Facetime HD camera settings? the brightness on my camera is set too high, faces are washed out. where can I adjust this?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.