Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Format external HD with GUID to enable eDrive

New external (LaCie 2T) HD is formatted w/ OS Extended (Journaled). Error message when I try to create an eDrive reads: "The seclected drive is using the Master Boot Record partition scheme. It should be Apple Partition Map or GUID to create an eDrive." I do not understand how to create an Apple Partition Map or GUID; Disk Utility doesn't seem to speak to me about this. The bizarre thing is that this is the identical model of HD - albeit newer by 3 yrs. - that replaces the full one. I am running OSX 10.8.2. Would very much appreciate how-to help...

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), LaCie 2T External HD

Posted on Feb 23, 2013 11:12 AM

13 replies

Feb 23, 2013 1:03 PM in response to clickdc

This maybe simpler than what every one else is referencing?

In OS X Disk Utility, there should be a formatting tab and a partitioning tab.

You need to create more than one partition for the eDrive.

I Do not believe you can have the eDrive as the master partition.

You need to create, at least two partitions and have the eDrive be one of the other sub partitions.

You need to erase the drive, set up the OS X HFS+ extended format (journaled) there should be a check box for setting the partition scheme to GUID. There should be partitioning tab that allows you to partition or segment the drive into discrete areas of different data storage sizes.

Format external HD with GUID to enable eDrive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.