Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No OS X system backups were found

Hi.

I was having speed issues with my Macbook pro and as a last resort decided to do a full wipe and reinstall of OSX Mountain Lion.

I created a comprehensive backup using Time Machine onto a brand spankingly new hard drive that came formated for Mac.

After wiping my internal HDD, and installing Moutain Lion afresh, I have attempted to restore the Time Machine backup...

I rebooted, held alt/option to get OS X Utilities > selected Restore From Time Machine Backup > Restore your system > Chose my External Drive > No OS X System Backups were found...

How can I get this menu to recognise that the back up is there?

The .backupdb file is the only thing on the external drive.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), Time Machine Restore

Posted on Feb 23, 2013 11:13 AM

8 replies

Feb 23, 2013 2:46 PM in response to Linc Davis

Hey Linc

Thanks for the info. I must be doing something wrong with Time Machine beacuse I was concerned before I made the back up that it wouldn't/I hadn't set it up to backup my apps... I checked the 'Exclude List' in Time Machine settings and I had it set to not Exclude anything...

Ah well at least I have all my documents even if I cant open them yet.

Thanks again

Feb 23, 2013 2:59 PM in response to Samuel_Aspinall

I checked the 'Exclude List' in Time Machine settings and I had it set to not Exclude anything.

That happens sometimes, for reasons that aren't clear.

This simple procedure will clear your Time Machine settings, including both overt and hidden exclusions. If you have a long exclusion list that can't be recreated easily, you may prefer a more complicated procedure that preserves the exclusion list. In that case, ask for instructions. Otherwise, do as follows.

Triple-click the line below to select it:

/Library/Preferences/com.apple.TimeMachine.plist

Right-click or control-click the highlighted line and select

Services ▹ Reveal

from the contextual menu. A Finder window should open with a file selected. Copy it to the Desktop. Then move it (the original, not the copy) to the Trash. You'll be prompted for your administrator password. Reboot, recreate your settings in the Time Machine preference pane, and run a backup to test. If TM now performs as expected, delete the file you copied to the Desktop.

No OS X system backups were found

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.