Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Which software for video editing?

I am new to video editing. I will be going to college soon and I plan on studying Post-Production. I would like to eventually edit features, tv shows, and trailers (either one, or all).

What software should I get? I'm looking at Premiere, Avid and Final Cut Pro X.

Final Cut Pro X, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Feb 23, 2013 2:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 23, 2013 2:30 PM

There are some educators also trying to figure this out.

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/335/47733

And at the secondary school level, a friend who runs the HS's (very robust and very popular) digital media program is trying to make that curriculum call before the end of this school year. Very interesting times.

Around here it's more likely to be Avid and the old FCP– at least for broadcast. Other markets may be different.

Good luck.

Russ

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 23, 2013 2:30 PM in response to All_Time_Low

There are some educators also trying to figure this out.

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/335/47733

And at the secondary school level, a friend who runs the HS's (very robust and very popular) digital media program is trying to make that curriculum call before the end of this school year. Very interesting times.

Around here it's more likely to be Avid and the old FCP– at least for broadcast. Other markets may be different.

Good luck.

Russ

Feb 23, 2013 3:50 PM in response to All_Time_Low

For broadcast and film, the industry standard is Avid with Premiere in second. Avid's educational price is $295, just under FCPX at $299.

You should learn Avid, Premiere and FCPX. This will make you well rounded and able to work in any post-production environment, since different programs are used.

FCPX will be easy to pick up. Avid and Premiere might take a little time but the larger post houses use those (broadcast and film). So it is best to know all of them.

Editing is the same no matter what program you use, it's not about the software. The only difference comes in with workflow, where it will be shown (matching back to film for theatrical release, DVDs, Bluray, internet, etc.), how many editors are working on one project, etc. An award winning film can be edited on any of those NLEs. Some NLEs are just better for certain jobs than others.

Feb 23, 2013 5:01 PM in response to Russ H

Yes, for major broadcast and film, Avid and Premiere are on the top. Final Cut Pro WAS (arguably) at the top, which I forgot to include, but now that FCP X has come out and Apple will not update FCP anymore, FCP editors are now searching for new options.

Also, I guess if you interpret "industry standard" as which program has the most user licenses then FCP X would be up there. But FCP X is rarely used in broadcast and film.

*Remember, I am talking about the major broadcast and film market.

Feb 23, 2013 5:30 PM in response to Russ H

If they weren't the industry standards then Films Schools would spend less time, or not at all, teaching them. If you look at USC's editing class you will see that they teach Avid.

USC

"Many students have gone on to careers as assistant editors and editors because of this program as Avid editing software continues to be the industry standard for both the motion picture and television industries."

And you will see this is the same for most film schools.

Which software for video editing?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.