Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Final Cut Pro on a Macbook?

It truly falls into a hazy region, but will Final Cut Pro application run on a MacBook?

The studio does require a dedicated graphics card for Motion, but I imagine the superb 2d graphics capabilities of the MacBook integrated card would do fine. I believe it delivers ATI 9600 2D equivalent performance, which is good enough for FCP.

Sheesh, with two desktops and an older iBook knocking around, it would be great to have a mobile FCP solution that won't require a massive cost commitment. Gotta save for the next Powermac upgrade!

PowerMac Dual 2 Gig G5 -- Waiting for Woodcrest... Mac OS X (10.4.6)

PowerMac Dual 2 Gig G5 -- Waiting for Conroe..., Mac OS X (10.4.6)

Posted on May 16, 2006 4:00 PM

10 replies

May 16, 2006 5:36 PM in response to mugwump88

I suspect it's the same as Aperture -- it will install and run fine, but will not be officially supported by Apple phone support. From the Aperture forum:

"Aperture does run on the new MacBooks, but it is NOT officially supported, due to limitations with the graphics card. This means if you call AppleCare, you'll simply be told that you're running Aperture on an unsupported configuration. It's an "at-your-own-risk" experience.
That being said, Aperture will install and run on a MacBook...at least you're not disallowed from using it. No hacks needed!
And of course, Aperture is fully supported on all MacBook PRO models.
Joe Schorr
Sr. Product Manager, Aperture
Apple

May 24, 2006 9:20 AM in response to mugwump88

I was in an Apple store and asked about Final Cut Pro on the new macbook - 2 of the staff told me categorically that it won't work on the macbook at all because it doesn't have a graphics card... has anyone actually got Final Cut Pro working on a Macbook?

Also, if it does... what's the performance like? the intel chips should be much quicker than the imac G5 i have.

Final Cut Pro on a Macbook?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.