Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to set iPod Classic to NOT automatically update?

After dealing with the debacle of iTunes 11 on my Windows 7 PC for a month I made the move and rolled back to version 10.7, and am once again able to use iTunes the way I want to, with ease and efficiency. One concern I have is that when I connect my iPod to sync it with my library, it automatically downloads updates to the iPod, and I'm worried that at some point the updated iPod software will become incompatible with my older version of iTunes, and I'll be forced to swallow the load of garbage that is iTunes 11 if I want to keep my iPod synced.

I cannot find an option when I connect my iPod and view it in the iTunes window where I might choose to NOT automatically update the iPod software. It tells me the iPod is up to date and gives me the date when it will automatically check for updates, and I assume that when an update is available it automatically downloads and installs the update. Am I right? And is there a way I can prevent this from happening?

My iPod is working fine and I don't see any reason to update it, even if they added new features I prefer to stick with the old version. I no longer trust Apple to issue updates that conform with my user needs and preferences and that are not full of performance bugs.

Windows 7

Posted on Feb 23, 2013 3:15 PM

2 replies

How to set iPod Classic to NOT automatically update?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.