Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

is os9 like windows 98

is it cause i really like windows 98 and i would like something the same on my older ibook g3

iBook, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Feb 23, 2013 4:35 PM

5 replies

Feb 27, 2013 12:12 PM in response to detour12

iBook G3s can boot into Mac OS 9, or Mac OS X, whereas iBook G4s can only use Classic as Mac OS 9. The difference is access to older drivers for Mac OS 9 is better when you can boot into it. Some older games are nice to access on Mac OS 9, as they won't work well on Classic or Mac OS X. You can make Mac OS 9 look like Windows 98 with an old software called GoMac, and Mac OS X 10.4.11 with an old software called Shapeshifter. Finding the themes may be more difficult. If you like Windows 98 that much, it is easier to run it on an Intel Mac with VirtualBox.

Feb 27, 2013 12:55 PM in response to detour12

If it is properly installed with the Mac OS 9 drivers, you go to Apple menu - System Preferences - Startup Disk, and select the Mac OS 9 System Folder, and hit restart. Otherwise you need to find out which Mac OS 9 came with the machine, or 8.6 or earlier, and the install that 9, or the 9 retail newer than the 9 that came with the machine, with reformatting the drive with Mac OS 9 drivers. So first off, do you have an iBook G3, and secondly, what is its vintage?

is os9 like windows 98

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.