Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iWeb In Mountain Lion

Hi, I just got a new iMac and I had iWeb on my old mac but I sold it and I don't have any of my iWeb files backed up. Is there any other way to get iWeb? I tried other web editors but I love the simplicity of iWeb! Thanks!

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Feb 23, 2013 9:30 PM

8 replies

Feb 24, 2013 12:34 AM in response to kpalmers

I hope you understand that buying and installing iWeb on your new iMac will not bring back any of your iWeb files if you have not backed them up? If you don't have any of your domain.sites files, then they are now lost with your old Mac and you can't get them back and if you do install iWeb, then you are looking at starting to re-build your site from scratch?

Yes, you can still get iWeb, but as Apple no longer sells it you will have to buy it from Amazon and you will need to buy either the iLife 09 or iLife 11 boxed set which contains iWeb 09 and then install it on your new Mac. You can just install iWeb if you want to without all the rest.

A very good alternative that I have found is somethign called WebAcappella. It comes from a French comapny and they have not long brought out WebAcappella 4 and it is the best alternative that I have found yet to iWeb. It has all the things built in that everyone wished that iWeb had. Has built in drop down menus, contact forms and Google maps and the ability to add your own html into a snippet/widget, just as iWeb did. You can use templates or start with a blank page and you can also create page templates that allow you to put headers and navigation menus on all your other pages with just one click without the need for copying and pasting in iWeb that could be very time consuming.

It is not the cheapest, but if you go to the website at http://www.webacappella.fr, then you can download it and try it out and you can create up to 8 pages with the free edition. If you then like it enough to buy it, then your just purchase a licence key and it is about 70 Euros.

I have looked at programmes like RapidWeaver, Sandvox and Freeway Express in the past and don't really like them. I have been using Flux 4, but unless you know a little about coding, then this can be quite a steep learning curve. Freeway Express has a new version 6 however, so that might be worth another look.

I would urge you to look at WebAceppalla though, as it does seem to be a good alternative and you are not tied into a hosting package either - you can publish where you want, unlike the new product from Rage that will be tied to Rage webhosting when it finally appears.

Feb 24, 2013 1:46 AM in response to Ethmoid

On the surface, WebAceppalla looks like a really well featured website creation tool with most of the features the average user would need.

Its when you look under the hood you see the limitations. The developers seem to have taken a very "iWeb" type approach without considering the flaws inherent in this heavy dependency on custom javascript and almost totally ignoring the importance of the role of CSS in modern website design.

In my search for an iWeb replacement, I have been looking for an app that actually writes clean code in the way you would yourself but with the advantages of drag and drop. This is how EasyWeb operates and its almost magical to see how it creates an HTML doc in the same way that a skilled front end web designer would.

Most of those who are against tied hosting forget that they probably started out using Apple's version and that the vast majority of iWeb users were happy with the convenience and features of MobileMe.

Feb 25, 2013 9:59 AM in response to Roddy

Greetings.

I just became interested to get my iWeb back "up and running" when I came to the realization that, of course, it's no longer available (good-bye mobile me).

I don't really know a whole lot about anything when it comes to web design ... so I will look into this EASYWEB that you are talking about ... as I venture to find a replacement for iWeb.

My question for you is: have you heard of this website? ---> http://www.cloversites.com

If you have (or once you look into it) I was wondering how you think it compares to iWeb and if you think it would be a similar and decent alternative to iWeb compared to other websites out there that you have experienced.

Thanks for your thoughts....

- mister

PS

I am looking at WebAceppalla and it seems to be a non-USA product. I guess they don't sell this in the US? (I will search some more and hope I'm not prematurely asking this question.)

Feb 25, 2013 10:03 AM in response to Ethmoid

Greetings.

I just became interested to get my iWeb back "up and running" when I came to the realization that, of course, it's no longer available (good-bye mobile me).

I don't really know a whole lot about anything when it comes to web design ... but want to thank you for writing what you did (above) ... as I venture to find a replacement for iWeb.

My question for you is: have you heard of this website? ---> http://www.cloversites.com

If you have (or once you look into it) I was wondering how you think it compares to iWeb and if you think it would be a similar and decent alternative to iWeb compared to other websites out there that you have experienced.

Thanks for your thoughts....

- mister

PS

I am looking at WebAceppalla and it seems to be a non-USA product. I guess they don't sell this in the US? (I will search some more and hope I'm not prematurely asking this question.)

Feb 25, 2013 10:48 AM in response to _mister__

It does not matter one jot that WebAcappella is not a US product. If you saw and clicked on the link that I provided, you would have seen that it is a French product and is a French website. If you want WebAcappella, then click on that link and download it from their site and play around with it and if you then want to purchase it, go back and purchase a licence and you can pay through PayPal.

It is the closest thing that I have found to iWeb and it has built in drop down menus, Google maps, contact forms etc., and is very easy to use. If you want it, click on this link here - http://www.webacappella.fr.

As for Cloversites, this is not really an alternative to iWeb as it is an online website builder, so not really the same, but they can work, however, if you want to use this alternative, then perhaps it might be better to go for something like Joomla or WordPress.org, which are Content Management Systems that you install directly on your server and are easy to use. Both WordPress.org and Joomla are free to download and install and the hosting will be a lot cheaper than you would pay to host with one of the online website builders such as Cloversites.

It will be easier and cheparr, so perhaps you should consider these alternatives instead.

In the meantime, click on the link that I provided for WebAcappella and download it and try it and buy it online. That is all you need to do and it does not matter whether you are in the US or not.

Feb 25, 2013 11:33 AM in response to Ethmoid

Ethmoid wrote:

It does not matter one jot that WebAcappella is not a US product. If you saw and clicked on the link that I provided, you would have seen that it is a French product and is a French website.

I hope the thought process of French programmers isn't flawed like their military planners. Remember the Maginot Line!

iWeb In Mountain Lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.