Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro (Early 2008) not great under Mountain Lion

I have an Early 2008 Mac Pro:

Processor 2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon

Memory 4 GB 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM

Running OS X 10.8.2 (12C60)

However, lots of spinning wheels of fortune, general sluggishness, allbeit not all the time - it seems to go through phases.

Trouble waking up the computer after sleep and this morning permanent spinning wheel on the login prompt.

I installed Mountain Lion onto a totally new and freshly formatted 1TB drive.

Any indicators as to what might be the problem?

Is the Early 2008 Mac just a bit long in the tooth for Mountain Lion and are these problems possibly symptomatic of a computer that's on its way out ?

Mac Pro (Early 2008), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Feb 24, 2013 3:19 AM

10 replies

Feb 24, 2013 10:08 AM in response to webdesignessex

There are problems with some 2008 models and Lion/ML but mostly with power management and SMC and support for hardware.

8 DIMMs yields 17% boost, 4x2GB 667MHz FBDIMMs $70 upgrade would go along ways too.

Don't say but by now you should have upgraded to ATI 5770 instead with support for newer graphics features.

Dedicated OS/Apps boot drive? move allthe data to 2ncd drive as well.

And keep 10.6.8 around, many go back and find it better or that they dual boot.

Feb 24, 2013 4:21 PM in response to webdesignessex

First, back up all data immediately, as your boot drive might be failing.

There are a few other possible causes of generalized slow performance that you can rule out easily.

• If you have many image or video files on the Desktop with preview icons, move them to another folder.
  • If applicable, uncheck all boxes in the iCloud preference pane.
  • Disconnect all non-essential wired peripherals and remove aftermarket expansion cards, if any.

Otherwise, take the steps below when you notice the slowdown.

Step 1

Launch the Activity Monitor application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Activity Monitor in the icon grid.

Select the CPU tab of the Activity Monitor window.

Select All Processes from the menu in the toolbar, if not already selected.

Click the heading of the % CPU column in the process table to sort the entries by CPU usage. You may have to click it twice to get the highest value at the top. What is it, and what is the process? Also post the values for % User, % System, and % Idle at the bottom of the window.

Select the System Memory tab. What values are shown in the bottom part of the window for Page outs and Swap used?

Next, select the Disk Activity tab. Post the approximate values shown for Reads in/sec and Writes out/sec (not Reads in and Writes out.)

Step 2

If you have more than one user account, you must be logged in as an administrator to carry out this step.

Launch the Console application in the same way you launched Activity Monitor. Make sure the title of the Console window is All Messages. If it isn't, select All Messages from the SYSTEM LOG QUERIES menu on the left. If you don't see that menu, select

View Show Log List

from the menu bar.

Select the 50 or so most recent entries in the log. Copy them to the Clipboard (command-C). Paste into a reply to this message (command-V). You're looking for entries at the end of the log, not at the beginning.

When posting a log extract, be selective. Don't post more than is requested.

Please do not indiscriminately dump thousands of lines from the log into this discussion.

Important: Some personal information, such as your name, may appear in the log. Anonymize before posting. That should be easy to do if your extract is not too long.

Feb 24, 2013 11:33 PM in response to The hatter

Yes, the machine is definitely outdated and I suspect the major problem is that I only have 4GB of RAM which I realise is very small these days especially with Mountain Lion.

However, want to make sure that there isn't anything else wrong before investing money on more memory which quite expensive for this machine: 8GB is nearly £200 + tax. Whereas 8GB for my MacBook Pro only cost me £45.00 + tax.

Feb 25, 2013 9:02 AM in response to webdesignessex

I posted link to Amazon's FBDIMMs seems almost daily....

$32 and they work perfectly. Fill all 8 slots as I said for 17% improvements in memory bandwidth performace to offset a miniscule 4% no one noticed from using 667 instead of 800MHz

2x2GB FBDIMM DDR2 667MHz @ $32

http://www.amazon.com/BUFFERED-PC2-5300-FB-DIMM-APPLE-Memory/dp/B002ORUUAC/

Only if you need more than 16GB RAM do you need to look in higher capacity more epensive 4GB DIMMs.

Mac Pro (Early 2008) not great under Mountain Lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.