Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone locked/unlocked

What is the difference between a locked or unlocked iPhone 5? I know with a locked phone you are pretty much forced to stay with a certain carrier, am I right?

I plan to buy an iPhone soon and use Wal*Mart's StraightTalk service, should I buy the phone from them or the apple store?

Wal*Mart's StraightTalk service for those who want to answer my question and need the research.

Posted on Feb 24, 2013 1:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 24, 2013 1:32 AM

You are correct.

A locked iphone can only be used with one carrier.

An unlocked iphone will work with any carrier.

7 replies

Feb 24, 2013 1:39 AM in response to Devon Davenport

I've never shopped at Walmart (as I live in Aus).

Personally, if I can buy direct from the people who know it best (the manufacturer) - that's the way I would go.

Also, Apple's staff aren't commission based and my experience with service has always been fantastic. They also provide a service called Personal Setup at no charge, where they can introduce you to your new phone and get you up and running at no additional charge.

I'd go Apple.

Feb 24, 2013 1:49 AM in response to Rory Jacobs

If I were to buy the phone from apple and wanted to connect to ATT, would I be forced to sign a contract, given that the phone is unlocked, or does the unlock apply only for which carriers the phone CAN be used in? Also, since I (hypothetically) bought the phone at full price, would I have to pay the 80.00$ (minimum) subsidized monthly fee?

Feb 24, 2013 5:41 AM in response to Devon Davenport

If you buy an unlocked phone from Apple and bring it in to ATT for cel service you will they will NOT force you to sign a two year contract. You will be able to cancel at any time without penalties. The WalMart phone will most likely be locked to Straight Talk. The prices for unlocked phones are usually $400 more than for the "subsidized" ones.

iPhone locked/unlocked

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.