Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Latest Feb 19, 2013 Java update for 10.6 breaks Safari 5.1.7

Hi people, long time viewer first time poster here. I wasn't sure on how to contact apple in regards to their latest Java update on the 19th February 2013, so I thought I post it here and see if others have the same problem.

So, I'm running the following:

Java SE 6 (Java 1.6.0_41-b02-445)

Safari 5.1.7

Mac OSX 10.6.8

When I try to load http://www.uk.msn.com (which is also my homepage) my browser freezes and I can't load any other page. This results in me have to quit Safari and sometimes force quit.

I know it is the recent Java update because when I disable Javascript the website works fine and I can interact with it. As soon as I turn Javascript back on, the issue occurs again. Obviously turning Javascript off is a work around for now, but I require it for work etc.

I have done a permissions repair which doesn't fix anything.

Could others try the link and let me know what happens please? All OSX versions are welcome to see whether it is just the 10.6.8 OSX or spans to 10.7 and later.

Also, does anybody know where I can report this issue to Apple, or do I just ring them up and tell them?

Many thanks.

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2010), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Feb 24, 2013 5:46 AM

11 replies

Feb 24, 2013 6:20 AM in response to itype89

hi there,

all you need to do it remove java from the mac

then download the java.app again - try running software updates first

if software updates does not work download the newest version of java which should fix this issue

many people fail to see this as a 3rd party issue not apples issue

OS X

Windows

Linux

they all have the same issue you mainly need to speak woth the makers of java

Feb 24, 2013 6:42 AM in response to Daniel.Robinson

Sorry bud, I wish I could edit my title. It is Javascript and not Java, so hence I doubt the Java update messed anything up. Java and Javascript are two completely different things apparently.

The www.uk.msn.com website works fine when Javascript is disabled, but once re-enabled it freezes the browser. I think it may be an website issue as it doesn't happen anywhere else, google uses Javascript for their searches, so it is the website. I'll just change my homepage and prevent visiting to uk.msn.com until it is fixed.

Thanks anyway.

Feb 24, 2013 10:23 AM in response to itype89

I also have 10.6.8, Safari 5.1.7, and the most recent Java update. I can access the MSN site through the link you provided but, on returning to Apple Discussions, got a 60-second stall before Safari would work right again. Yes, it very well could be the site.

The only Safari 5.x crashes I've had came after a Java update 12-18 months ago. I had repaired permission both before and after the update but the crash log showed a number of dlink files with question marks instead of version numbers. Another repair permission restored function and I've had no further crashes. So I always repair permissions before any subsequent Java update that's offered and twice after. For what ever reason, it seems to keep me going.

Feb 24, 2013 11:52 AM in response to seventy one

Have been reading through those comments from the website I posted aboe user "seventy one". I uninstalled Flash player and accessed the page, it loads fine. It is a flash player issue and not a Java/Javascript issue.

A reinstall doesn't fix anything and the webpage then goes back to loading slowly, hanging, and the working after about 1-2 minutes once Flasy Player is reinstalled. I think I've found the actual problem. Wish I could change the topic title as it is now misleading 😐.

Feb 24, 2013 2:35 PM in response to itype89

I don't think they could change the title because it would interfere with the relevance of the replies.

It's not that serious a matter anyway as you say you have resolved your problem. This may be one of those rare occasions where it would be justified to mark your own post as solved ... and thereby tone down interest.

Message was edited by: seventy one

Latest Feb 19, 2013 Java update for 10.6 breaks Safari 5.1.7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.