Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dear friends,

Dear friends,I would really appreciate your help.

For the last three months (and for the next 10 months) I am running my macbook pro (2010) many hours per day, while working. I actually use it as a desktop for all these hours. The battery is still holding but I would like to ask if there is any way to isolate battery and have it switched on by using only the power cord and not the battery, or maybe a way to stop the battery from charging since I guess it will eventually ruin its health. I am using it for about 6-8 hours per day.

It is my first time on the forum, so I hope I was detailed enough!!!

Thank you all!!!!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Feb 24, 2013 7:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 24, 2013 7:17 AM

Your best performance is having it operate the way it is intended, power and battery working, and not the way you are suggesting.

10 replies

Feb 24, 2013 8:41 AM in response to JagaThundercat

Thank you very much for your answers

So DLMiller you propose that as long as I have it connected the main source is the cord and not the battery? Will not ruin the battery? I am trying to charge it , then use battery, then charge it etc. To keep the battery working and the power not to ruin the battery, which I thought it will lose life if I have the power connected most of the time. You propose to keep the power on and take it of (more or less) when I want to use it as a laptop (as it is of course)?

Feb 24, 2013 8:54 AM in response to JagaThundercat

Unfortunately, some should last for ever! I circle it toooooo much the last months!!! So I will keep the power on for let's say a week and circle it ( I guess fully charge and then let it close in battery mode, until the battery runs out of energy) . As you say I will have to change it anyway so ..... Would you also share you opinion on this? Would you change the battery on your own in a unibody mac? Just out of curiosity to see if I would be the only one who would do it,

Thank you very much both of you, especially Miller for being so informative.

🙂

Feb 24, 2013 8:58 AM in response to JagaThundercat

I personallyh keep my MBP charged most of the time because I tend to run large projects that are battery hogs. I only cycle my battery once every 3 to 4 weeks and then only to about 50%. It's not a good idea to allow it to completely drain because of the added stress on the battery. I've been doing this for about 6 years with no issue. Cycle it every couple of weeks and see how that works for you. The battery has at least 1000 cycles before it may need to be chnaged.

Feb 24, 2013 9:41 AM in response to JagaThundercat

Thank you very much for the link. It was nt necessary since it is so obvious that you know what you saying. Your support was great. It would be nice to have in our macs what i have in my almost 10years old Ibm thinkpad: the charge stops when the battery is charged , you do not take of the plug and it starts again when you want e.g when the battery reaches 10% it starts automatically. So you always keep the plug on , battery works only when you decide and you do not even have to get it of. Can you imagine that the battery in IBM still holds for at least 2 hours after all this time? I wish apple had somehting like this.

Thank you once more for your great help.

Dear friends,

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.