Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Editing music on my Classic

I have downloded loads of music onto my ipod but unfortunately have deleted the whole library from my PC. I now find that I need to edit the tunes but understand that as soon as I sync with itunes all the music will be wiped from the ipod. My question is after syncing with the PC will the music disappear from my ipod but appear again in my itunes library to enable me to edit them and then download them back onto the ipod. Thanks.

iPod classic

Posted on Feb 24, 2013 8:38 AM

2 replies

Feb 26, 2013 4:41 AM in response to neal.desperandum

A friend has told me that it is only a one way system which means that if an ipod is connected to itunes without there being the same music in the itunes library the music will be wiped from the ipod. However there is a possibility that the music could be downloaded onto a portable hard drive and then back into itunes so I am investigating that possibility.

Feb 27, 2013 8:08 PM in response to neal.desperandum

The ‘Sync’ option is set to equalize your iPod to your iTunes. If the songs are no longer in iTunes, then when iTunes syncs the iPod, it will erase the songs from the iPod, not put them back into iTunes.

You might be able to connect your iPod and then catch the process when it starts and cancel the sync process. If that works and your iPod is still connected to your iTunes, you should be able to access the properties of the iPod and choose ‘Manually Manage Music.’ Then you can connect you iPod to this iTunes or other computer/iTunes and not have it try to delete everything.

You might also try connecting this iPod to another computer and watch for the ‘Erase and Sync’ prompt. You can say ‘No’ and then use that iTunes to change the iPod’s settings to ‘Manually Manage Music.’ Then when you connect it to your iTunes, the ‘Manually Manage Music’ option should be applied there too and it shouldn’t erase the iPod.

As far as getting your music back into your iTunes, a Google search should give you hundreds of solutions. Media Monkey is one of them.

BW

Editing music on my Classic

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.