Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Merge contacts and spinning wheel!

I have just over 500 contacts and I want to resolve duplicates and each time I click to merge the duplicates it seems to start but then takes ages to seemingly make any progress. After 24 hours the process is still continuing with the progress bar still on the screen. I then give up and force a quit.

How long should it take to merge the duplicates? Say 60 or so fo them?

Why is there a spinning circle beside my icloud Address book. It never stops spinning?

If I make changes to an icloud entry does that force a change to the 'on my mac' entry.

Many thanks

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Feb 24, 2013 11:34 AM

3 replies

Feb 24, 2013 11:40 AM in response to peternevill

peternevill wrote:

I have just over 500 contacts and I want to resolve duplicates and each time I click to merge the duplicates it seems to start but then takes ages to seemingly make any progress. After 24 hours the process is still continuing with the progress bar still on the screen. I then give up and force a quit.

How long should it take to merge the duplicates? Say 60 or so fo them?

A few moments, reboot your computer and try again.

Feb 24, 2013 12:41 PM in response to peternevill

If the problem is still there, try booting into the Safe Mode. Shut down the computer and then power it back up. Immediately after hearing the startup chime, hold down the shift key and continue to hold it until the grey Apple icon and a progress bar appear. The boot up is significantly slower than normal.

Safe Mode

Safe Mode - About

General information.

Isolating issues in Mac OS X

Merge contacts and spinning wheel!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.