Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help with importing video from firewire camera into a RAID.

I am editing video on an iMac (3.02 Ghz Core 2 Duo, 16 GB Ram). I am using Final Cut Express 4 and a G-Raid external drive as the scratch disk. This works fine with video from SD cards, but I also have video on Mini DV tapes that I need to put into the Final Cut project. The iMac has only the one firewire port, so how can I get the video from the Mini DV tapes into the Final Cut project when I cannot connect both the G-Raid and the camera to the iMac at the same time? Thanks very much for any suggestions!

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), 3.06, 16 gig, 500HD

Posted on Feb 24, 2013 6:48 PM

1 reply

Feb 24, 2013 7:50 PM in response to alski999

Connect the camera to one of the drive's Firewire ports. Connect the drive's other port to your Mac. This setup is often referred to 'daisy chaining' and will work with most DV and HDV cameras except Canon (which never fully implemented the IEEE-1394 Firewire standard on their products).

If you're using a Canon camera, you may have to capture to the boot drive, then move the captured files to the G-Raid before editing.

-DH

Help with importing video from firewire camera into a RAID.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.