Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Numbers and Dropbox

Hi

I'm sort of a Mac addict who needs a spreadsheet app for my iPad. One would think Numbers would be for me but two things are holding me back.

First how well does Numbers work with Dropbox ? Is it easy to import and mostly export files to Dropbox ?

Finally, I'm a bit reluctant to. Buy it considering all the bad reviews Numbers get from so many customers. What do people reading this forum think of Numbers ?

Thanks

iPad (3rd generation) Wi-Fi, iOS 5.1

Posted on Feb 24, 2013 6:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 25, 2013 3:52 PM

1. Regarding dropbox integration. Yes, it is very simple to import/ export files via dropbox. To import, you just install the dropbox app on theiPad, then open the spreadsheet in it, choose the 'Open in Numbers' option & it will open for you. Exorting is also easy, you just click on the wrench in Numbers, choose "open in another App", select dropbox & choose the folder you want to store it in.

All that being said, I don't care for using Numbers on files that I will be transporting back & forth frequently (like ones that I use in Excel on my Mac & also on my iPad. I feel like the two-step process to download/ upload the output causes too many files, so you download it from dropbox, play around with it on the iPad, then upload it again, now you have potentially 3 copies of that file-2 in dropbox & one in Pages. I find that inconvenient. For files that I work on alot in both places, I use cloudon or the web apps in Skydrive to manipulate. They aren't as nice as Numbers on the iPad, but I can open up & save the exact smae document on both devices.

2. I think that if you go into it thinking that Numbers is 'Excel for iPad', you will be disappointed. I was frustrated with it when I first used it, until I took an afternoon to watch the videos on how to use it & read a bunch of links online. Numbers does the same thing as Excel (for the most part) but it works very differently. I believe it is the best spreadsheet app out there for working on an iPad, but the processes are just different than Excel. Until I took the time to learn how it worked, I was continually frustrated with iPad Numbers. Now I use it all the time when I am doing spreadsheets on the iPad (unless, like I said above, it is one that I work on on both my Mac & iPad.)

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 25, 2013 3:52 PM in response to microfox

1. Regarding dropbox integration. Yes, it is very simple to import/ export files via dropbox. To import, you just install the dropbox app on theiPad, then open the spreadsheet in it, choose the 'Open in Numbers' option & it will open for you. Exorting is also easy, you just click on the wrench in Numbers, choose "open in another App", select dropbox & choose the folder you want to store it in.

All that being said, I don't care for using Numbers on files that I will be transporting back & forth frequently (like ones that I use in Excel on my Mac & also on my iPad. I feel like the two-step process to download/ upload the output causes too many files, so you download it from dropbox, play around with it on the iPad, then upload it again, now you have potentially 3 copies of that file-2 in dropbox & one in Pages. I find that inconvenient. For files that I work on alot in both places, I use cloudon or the web apps in Skydrive to manipulate. They aren't as nice as Numbers on the iPad, but I can open up & save the exact smae document on both devices.

2. I think that if you go into it thinking that Numbers is 'Excel for iPad', you will be disappointed. I was frustrated with it when I first used it, until I took an afternoon to watch the videos on how to use it & read a bunch of links online. Numbers does the same thing as Excel (for the most part) but it works very differently. I believe it is the best spreadsheet app out there for working on an iPad, but the processes are just different than Excel. Until I took the time to learn how it worked, I was continually frustrated with iPad Numbers. Now I use it all the time when I am doing spreadsheets on the iPad (unless, like I said above, it is one that I work on on both my Mac & iPad.)

Numbers and Dropbox

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.