Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HP officejet Pro 8000 wireless install

My new Mac Book Pro cannot find my wireless printer.

I have followed the help instructions (I think correctly). When I try to ➕ add printer, I can type the name in the search bar, but nothing ever happens. I cannot add any text into the dialog box under Name or Kind, or Location.

I select Printer/Scan from the Settings menu. No printers are found, I try to add and nothing.

Printer is connected to my wireless network, so is the Mac, thought would be easier to find each other ;-)

Thanks

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Feb 24, 2013 7:55 PM

10 replies

Feb 25, 2013 7:17 PM in response to Csound1

I thought this was a great idea! But alas it does not work. Says something like the device is not from the manufacturer and may not perform all functions. Then it asks if I want to set it up anyway, I say yes, and it populates it. When I go to print, it just hangs and cannot connect or print.

My daughter's mac prints to this printer easily when she is home.

Is it possible it doesn't like Mountain Lion?

Geez hate to have to buy a new printer too.

Thanks!

Feb 25, 2013 8:21 PM in response to LynnA5151

Based on the message you are getting it would suggest that the driver is not compatible with this IP protocol. This is not unusual with OS X drivers - many brands have the same limitation.

You could try what Csound has suggested again, but this time change the protocol menu from LPD to HP Jetdirect-Socket.

If this also fails then you will have to resort to getting it to work via Bonjour. But if the printer is not appearing in the Default view when you click the plus button to add then you need to check why this is so. One approach is to enable the Bonjour bookmark in Safari. This is done via Preferences > Bookmarks. Here you can enable "Include Bonjour" for the Bookmarks Bar. This will make Bonjour appear next to the Top Sites icon in the Bookmarks bar. Select this. Do you see the HP8000?

Mar 4, 2013 6:46 PM in response to LynnA5151

PAHU and Csound, thanks for taking the time to help. Alas, I have only been able to get to print when connected to the printer. The Mac Book and Printer are on the same network, yet they cannot find each other.

Could the issue be with the router? Going from PC to Mac? Does this make your router crazy? I would think if both devices can access the network that should be all we need.

I have no clue how to access my router information.

Oh I just want to weep, this should be easier.

Also ... I have enabled Bonjour, and it appears as you suggested.

Mar 4, 2013 7:24 PM in response to LynnA5151

LynnA5151 wrote:

Also ... I have enabled Bonjour, and it appears as you suggested.

This shows that the printer and Mac can see each other, so there is going to be no issue with the router and there is no need to ping the printer. But FYI you can ping from Network Utility. With the app open you will see a ping tab where you can enter the IP address of the network device.

So with the printer appearing in the Bonjour page of Safari, the question is why is it also not appearing when you select to add in Print & Scan and select the Default view. At this stage I suggest you try a reset of the printing system. This will remove all devices from Print & Scan but not the supporting printer drivers so you will only need to add the printer again.

Mar 4, 2013 8:22 PM in response to PAHU

I am feeling a little better because I have done this. I have reset the printing system twice. Bonjour is now enabled, but I misled you, it says no websites available. I can only access the "about Bonjour" selection. So, enabled, but not seeing the printer either.

Thanks!

Like I said earlier, ready to weep. Giving up for tonight

HP officejet Pro 8000 wireless install

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.