Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Update IPad 1 operating system

How do I update my Operating system on the first IPad?

iPad, iOS 4.2

Posted on Feb 24, 2013 7:42 PM

17 replies

Feb 24, 2013 7:44 PM in response to LindseyRkp4

IPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad iOS Compatibility

Device iOS Verson

iPhone 1 iOS 3.1.3

iPhone 3G iOS 4.2.1

iPhone 3GS iOS 6.1

iPhone 4 iOS 6.1

iPhone 4S iOS 6.1

iPhone 5 iOS 6.1

-------------------------------------------------------

iPod Touch 1 iOS 3.1.3

iPod Touch 2 iOS 4.2.1

iPod Touch 3 iOS 5.1.1

iPod Touch 4 iOS 6.1

iPod Touch 5 iOS 6.1

-------------------------------------------------------

iPad 1 iOS 5.1.1

iPad 2 iOS 6.1

iPad 3 iOS 6.1

iPad 4 iOS 6.1

iPad Mini iOS 6.1

Upgrading iOS

1. How to update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch

2. iPhone Support

3. iPod Touch Support

4. iPad Support

a. Updating Your iOS to Version 6.0.x from iOS 5

Tap Settings > General > Software Update

If an update is available there will be an active Update button. If you are current,

then you will see a gray screen with a message saying your are up to date.

b. If you are still using iOS 4 Updating your device to iOS 5 or later.

c. Resolving update problems

1. iOS - Unable to update or restore

2. iOS- Resolving update and restore alert messages

Feb 25, 2013 7:16 AM in response to LindseyRkp4

If you have an iPad 1, the max iOS is 5.1.1. For newer iPads, the current iOS is 6.1. The Settings>General>Software Update only appears if you have iOS 5.0 or higher currently installed.

iOS 5: Updating your device to iOS 5 or Later

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4972

How to install iOS 6

http://www.macworld.com/article/2010061/hands-on-with-ios-6-installation.html

iOS: How to update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4623

If you are currently running an iOS lower than 5.0, connect the iPad to the computer, open iTunes. Then select the iPad under the Devices heading on the left, click on the Summary tab and then click on Check for Update.

Tip - If connected to your computer, you may need to disable your firewall and anitvirus software temporarily. Then download and install the iOS update. Be sure and backup your iPad before the iOS update. After you update an iPad (except iPad 1) to iOS 6.x, the next update can be installed via wifi (i.e., not connected to your computer).

 Cheers, Tom 😉

Jul 31, 2013 11:21 PM in response to stevejobsfan0123

I've tried all of the links listed in this discussion. Is there nothing that can be done from the iPad? It has to be done with the computer? My brain is at the quitting point. I'd take my iPad to the Apple store and have them look at it if it were closer...though for the time I spent on it tonight I could have driven the 30 minutes it takes to get there and been there an hour and driven home. So maybe that's my next step.

Jul 31, 2013 11:37 PM in response to Bridget.J

Sorry you ran into the issue of the iPad not appearing, I can see how that would be frustrating.

Is there nothing that can be done from the iPad? It has to be done with the computer?

iOS 5 introduced the ability to update directly from the device, but prior versions must be updated from iTunes on the computer.

I'd take my iPad to the Apple store and have them look at it if it were closer...though for the time I spent on it tonight I could have driven the 30 minutes it takes to get there and been there an hour and driven home. So maybe that's my next step.

That may very well be the next best thing at this point. I have one last idea, though:

Take a look here if you're using Windows, or here for a Mac.

Update IPad 1 operating system

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.