Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FCPx will not open, Leaves spinning beach ball of death over the application which is unresponsive after upgrade to 10.8.2.

I recently decieded to upgrade my computer from Lion to Mountain Lion, right after the upgrade this problem started with my FCPx 10.0 so i decided maybe the software was unsupported so I chose to download the trial of 10.0.6 FCPx. This aswell became unresponsive. I have already tried deleting all of my FCP projects, which did not change the problem at all. It would be nice if I could get a fast response on this because I have a deadline for an edit of one week.

MacBook, Late 2008 Macbook 2 Ghz Duo(Intel)

Posted on Feb 24, 2013 9:29 PM

6 replies

Feb 25, 2013 2:54 AM in response to SonOfSwitzerland

I may have an overactive imagination, but it sounds to me like you've downloaded a pirated copy; then when it started beach-balling, you decided you'd better download something legit...

After downloading the latest trial version, it still didn't work...

And all this while with an editing assignment only one week away?

How's my crystal ball?

How long does the beach ball show for?

Did you totally delete (or move) the Final Cut Events folder as well?

Feb 25, 2013 3:38 AM in response to SonOfSwitzerland

HI Suisse-Lad, try removing the FCPX state information..

Simply

1. quit or force out FCPX
  2. use the Finder or the terminal.app to PURGE | REMOVE | DELETE the following state inforataion from FCPX before you start looking at the FCPX prefs which I'm confident others may suggest.

Step 1: delete this:

~/Library/Save Application State/com.apple.FinalCut.savedState

Step 2: USe Finder or terminal.app rename these two folders that appear on ANY file systems you have where they exist where you may have asked FCPX to put its goodies, rename to something else:

Final Cut Events and Final Cut Projects to zzz.Final Cut Events and zzz.Final Cut Projects

This should cause FCPX NOT to try and reinstate the FCPX UI like it was launched last time and secondly NOT to try and LOAD any events or reinstate an PROJECTS and build proxy thumbnails because it wont find any. If you'r enew to FCPX these two directiries will be likely in your ~/Movies directory...

Step 3: Launch FCPX and see if yourresults differ.

Step 4 (optional) IF not then as others may suggest to delete the 3-4 com.apple.FinalCutxxxx.plist files in the ~/Library/Preferences (your home domain library)

Post your results for other to see.

Warwick

Feb 25, 2013 12:52 PM in response to Warwick Teale

Thank you for trying Warwick, but still no such luck. I had already deleted "Final Cut Events" and "Final Cut Projects" prior to the post for fear of a corruption. I deleted the file "com.apple.FinalCut.savedState" and deleted all "com.apple.FinalCutxxxx.plist". Inside of the "Saved Application State" folder I also found files with the end ".plist.lock" that were related to Final Cut, Should I attempt deleting those? But currently I am editing in a trial of AE to progress on the project, but it would be nice if this could be resolved soon.

-Joseph

Feb 25, 2013 7:17 PM in response to SonOfSwitzerland

Hi joe, thanks for the replies. Firstly YES definately delete that plist locked file. It's residual .. Do this when you have terminated FCPX. Then try again.

From you first reply it sounds like the procedure didn't work for you.. Strange indeed. Usually it will make FCPX launch like new... So as per a precious poster the code and its framework might be corrupt.

In your second reply it sounds like it did work.. Lol...

If the procedure did work it would be helpful to others if you marked the solution as either "fixed" or "helped" so that these type of threads turn up quickly in these search forums.

I hope it worked for you and if so , like many other glad to have helped. Don't give up on FCPX it's great!

Cheers mate

Warwick

Hong Kong

FCPx will not open, Leaves spinning beach ball of death over the application which is unresponsive after upgrade to 10.8.2.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.