Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Faces thumbnails missing after recovery from time machine

I got a new harddisk in my iMac via Apple's harddisk replacement program. I recovered all my data via a Time Machine backup (from a Time Capsule). All seemed fine after recovery of backup. When firing up iPhoto after the recovery iPhoto asks for updating all the thumbnails (don't know why). After a while everything seems fine - all photos are available with thumbnails in the events view. However all Faces thumbnails are missing - all persons in the faces view are black boxes. I can see that all the faces tagging are intact - when clicking a person I can see all the tagged images as black boxes. When switching the little "Faces - Photos" control to "Photos" I can see the photos containing all the tagged persons all right. I seems like it's only the face thumbnails that are missing.

So far I have tried the following without succes:

• Repaired the iPhoto database with iPhotos own tool (holding Command and Option down when starting iPhoto)
  • Updating the entire library from an earlier backup
  • Updated the faces database files from an earlier backup as explained in this post

I'm out of good ideas now - can anyone help?

iPhoto '11, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Feb 25, 2013 7:44 AM

2 replies

Aug 11, 2013 10:28 AM in response to batthis

Using iPhoto Library Manager to Rebuild Your iPhoto Library

• Download iPhoto Library Manager and launch.
  • Click on the Add Library button,

User uploaded file

and select the library you want to add from those in the selection window.

• Now that the library is listed in the left hand pane of iPLM, click on your library and go to the Library ➙ Rebuild Library menu option

• User uploaded file

• In the next window name the new library and select the location you want it to be placed.
  • Click on the Create button.

• Note 1: This creates a new library based on the LIbraryData.xml file in the library and will recover Events, Albums, keywords, titles and comments. However, books, calendars, cards and slideshows will be lost.

Note 2: Your current library will be left untouched for further attempts at a fix if so desired.

OT

Faces thumbnails missing after recovery from time machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
    A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.