9 Replies Latest reply: Jul 16, 2013 8:59 AM by Niku Branched to a new discussion.
Niku Level 2 Level 2 (285 points)

I just dropped in to see if there are any apps that have been developed to enable the user to scroll pages. Please don't bother telling me to complain to Apple because, at the suggestion of people on this board, I have already done that. I'm just checking, and hoping, that there are now apps out there that enable a Mac user do to what was always posssible until Mountain Lion. Yes, I know about using those little directional triangles, but they're  not really the answer.

iDVD 7.1.1 (1150)
  • LINDA CATE Level 2 Level 2 (340 points)

OK, help me, where did you get the little triangles? Mine don't exist here in Mountain Lion. I miss them, scrolling gets  painful with my arthritis.

• Niku Level 2 Level 2 (285 points)

Linda Cate,

Sorry, but I don't know the proper name. Anyway, I'm talking about the ittle triangles on the keyboard. There are four of them, and they point UP, DOWN, LEFT, and RIGHT. I use them sometimes, but they're  a poor substitute for those little little UP or DOWN triangles/arrows that were positioned in the vertical bar to the right of the screen before Mountain Lion. Actually, since posting my question, it came to me that there is  real oportunity here for someone to do something really useful. I'd settle for what used to be, but it wasn't perfect. There's plenty of room for improvement in terms of precision and speed. There are so many apps that make you wonder why anyone would ever take the time to create such a thing, but the app I'm talking about would be used by, dare I say, millions?

LINDA CATE wrote:

OK, help me, where did you get the little triangles? Mine don't exist here in Mountain Lion. I miss them, scrolling gets  painful with my arthritis.

---

Try Googling "scroll bars on mountain lion". I haven't read all the entries (there are several pages), but I'm now using this method: Apple icon in menu bar>System Preferrences>General>Click on "WHEN SCROLLING," which appears after "Show Scroll Bars:". [note: I know you would think that "Always" would be the best choice to click, but obviously that doesn't produce what you need.] However, you do have to use the little triangles on the keyboard that I mentioned earlier. You just click on one of them and the scroll bar appears, not the two little triangles (up and down) that were in the scroll bar before before Muntain Lion, but a useful scroll bar. Oh, I just noticed, you have to click on one of those triangles AND your mouse; then, the vertical scroll bar will appear. I hope that this helps you.

My mistake. I'd delete this if I could. True, you have to know how to use the keyboard triangles, but this doesn't bring back the two little search ARROWS. Funny thing, though, I now seem to be able to navigate adequately with just the scroll bar. Has it been improved, or have I become more proficient with it? I don't know, but I can now get along. I'd rather have the little arrows, though.

• LINDA CATE Level 2 Level 2 (340 points)

The scroll bar is there, but what I needed is the little arrows in the bar, this evening, I can manage, but arthritis is worse some days than others. I can click & drag in the bar, but when scrolling through a long page, occasionally, it gets fussy and jumps up or down past the point I'm trying to reach. Well, sometimes, my hand twitches and causes the sudden jump. Frustrating.

Linda,

Maybe this will help you; it didn't help me. Anyway, I saw a CNET review of

TinkerTool, a free app for Macs. It said this:

"TinkerTool is a small, free app that lets you tinker with your user preferences, allowing access to options that you can't find through System Preferences. These "hidden" preferences--extras like adding scroll arrows to both ends of scroll bars--exist for a variety of reasons, but are usually invisible to users without the help of an app like TinkerTool."

Well, I downloaded and installed TinkerTool, but I didn't see anything about the cursor arrows, so I wrote to the manufacturer/creater asking them if I could add arrows to my Mountain Lion scroll bars with TinkerTool. Unfortunately, they never answered. I'm going to write them again today, but it occurred to me  that you, or someone, might have better luck with TinkerTool. If I find something more positive, I'll post it here. I'd appreciate it if you would do the same.

Linda,

Here's the latest in my quest for restoring those little arrows in the Mountain Lion scroll bar. It's a message I just sent--again--to the creaters of Tinker Tool.

'CNET says the following about Tinker Tool: "TinkerTool is a small, free app that lets you tinker with your user preferences, allowing access to options that you can't find through System Preferences. These "hidden" preferences--extras like adding scroll arrows to both ends of scroll bars--exist for a variety of reasons, but are usually invisible to users without the help of an app like TinkerTool."

I might be wrong, but I take that to mean that I can use Tinker Tool to add "scroll arrows to both ends of scroll bars" with Mountain Lion. Note, there was no need to do this with the operating systems before Mountain Lion, because only Mountain Lion does not have these arrows.

Can I add those little arrows to my Mountain Lion scroll by using  Tinker Tool? I have asked this question before, but you never answered, so I am asking again. Incidentally, yes, I have downloaded and installed Tinker Tool version 4.95, but I don't see how it can be used to restore those missing arrows.

Linda,

Well, I tried, anyway. Unfortunately, CNET had gotten it wrong. Here's what the TinkerTool people have to say about it.

"Unfortunately, no. The description of CNET is so shallow that it is wrong in two aspects:

They don't disclose that the set of advanced "pro" user preferences Apple offers in OS X

is very different in each version of the operating system. And what CNET actually meant

is to add *both* scroll arrows to *both* ends of a scroll bar.

Apple offered this feature in the operating systems Mac OS X 10.0, 10.1, 10.2, 10.3,

10.4, 10.5 and 10.6. TinkerTool gives you access to this user preference in all these

versions."

I'm giving up on this search, but maybe someone else will have better luck.

Linda,

Your comments have haunted me ever since I saw them way back in March. Today I may be able to offer you some useful advice. Here are some things that seem to have solved the problem for me. I might add that I had some difficuilty in installing Smart Scroller, but maybe the fault was mine. Anyway, I downloaded it from MacUpdate for only $10.00+ and today I am beginning  seeing the benefits (Yesterday, when Installed it, I thought I might have wasted my money).

==========                        ====

(1) Try changing the scrolling speed (System Preferences>Accessibility>Trackpad (or mouse) options>scrolling speed

That might have done the trick. I haven't yet given the new settings a complete check, but setting tracking speed to "slowest" and scrolling speed to "fastest". enabled me to scroll as I haven't been able do since I installed Mountain Lion.

(2) You might try Smart Scroll <http://www.marcmoini.com/sx_en.html.> I don’t know about Marcini, but I downloaded it from MacUpdate