Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac mini late 2012 getting stuck at apple startup logo

Hi,

I recently purchased the newly launched Mac Mini with the ivy bridge 2.3 ghz quad core i7 processor. I bought the mini assuming that it would be a decent replacement for my Mac Pro 1.1. Ever since I got the unit and after the first installation of my music production software it was running fine but as soon as i updated it to 10.8.2 from 10.8.1 which the machine was shipped with, it got stuck at the start up screen. I immediately contacted apple and the issue could not be resolved over the phone. I had to send the machine to the Apple Service provider as recommended by Apple since we don't have apple stores out here. They tested the machine reinstalled the os and reported that machine was fine. I again installed my software and during installation a software driver didn't install properly and the machine got stuck at startup again. I reported the matter again and they advised to replace the hard drive which was done. This time everything installed fine and the machine was up and running. The next day morning it got stuck again. The service provider then said that apple has recommended a mother board replacement whereas in my opinion the machine should have been replaced. Now the machine came again with a replaced motherboard and during installation the driver for our mixing desk again didn't install properly although its an updated driver for 10.8.2 and after a restart the machine got stuck at startup again. I am very frustrated now and I think apple has major issues with mountain lion. They should entirely replace my machine as I have not been able to use this machine for more than a week. I have a 2011 MacBook Pro running osx lion and all the software and hardware is running fine on it throughout. If my issue is not resolved I will trash this machine and never buy an apple product again. Very annoyed and frustrated at Apple failing constantly.

Mac mini, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), Mac Mini 2012 startup freeze

Posted on Feb 25, 2013 11:17 AM

11 replies

Feb 25, 2013 12:16 PM in response to Highwaystar79

It is understandable that you're frustrated at not being able to run your music production software. But try to keep some persepctive too. Apple has replaced the hard drive and logic board, which in essence is a new system.

I know you've approached this an an Apple issue, however, has anyone else reported issues running the music production software under OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion on a quad core I7 processor? You initially started out with drivers that were updated by the vendor, which leads me to wonder about the ability of the music production software to run flawlessly under OS X 10.8. Unfortunately, sometimes odd incompatibilities are introduced with new releases of hardware and software, whether Windows or OS X. It's both annoying and frustating when you're the one breaking ground on the issue, too.

Good luck.

Feb 25, 2013 5:59 PM in response to Highwaystar79

Please read this whole message before doing anything.

This procedure is a diagnostic test. It’s unlikely to solve your problem. Don’t be disappointed when you find that nothing has changed after you complete it.
The purpose of the test is to determine whether the problem is caused by third-party software that loads automatically at startup or login.

Disconnect all wired peripherals except those needed for the test, and remove all aftermarket expansion cards. Boot in safe mode* and log in to the account with the problem. The instructions provided by Apple are as follows:

• Shut down your computer, wait 30 seconds, and then hold down the shift key while pressing the power button.
  • When you see the gray Apple logo, release the shift key.
  • If you are prompted to log in, type your password, and then hold down the shift key again as you click Log in.
*Note: If FileVault is enabled under OS X 10.7 or later, or if a firmware password is set, or if the boot volume is a software RAID, you can’t boot in safe mode.

Safe mode is much slower to boot and run than normal, and some things won’t work at all, including wireless networking on certain Macs. The next normal boot may also be somewhat slow.
The login screen appears even if you usually log in automatically. You must know your login password in order to log in. If you’ve forgotten the password, you will need to reset it before you begin.

Test while in safe mode. Same problem?

After testing, reboot as usual (i.e., not in safe mode) and verify that you still have the problem. Post the results of the test.

Feb 25, 2013 9:13 PM in response to Highwaystar79

Hey,

Thankyou for your suggestion. The problem is that when this issue occurs the machine will not boot at all. Not even in safe mode. I have reinstalled OSX which for this machine only happens over the Internet and takes ages. There is no way to download mountain lion os for your machine I learned. Unless you purchase it which I am not sure I will do for my other machines unless I am able to run a stable system. The weird part is that the machine sometimes installs fine and later this issue will spring up. I have also tried making a time machine backup which also didn't work as the system was not able to use the backup to restore. I have for now left the machine connected for a reinstall of the os. I intend to make a time machine backup of the machine without anything installed on it as a first and then installing all the other software. I will post details of the process and then if the system runs at all I will try the procedure suggested above.

Thanks

May 23, 2013 2:38 AM in response to BGreg

ughhhhh, my problem has resurfaced after the thunderbolt update for 10.8.3. My machine is stuck again at the startup logo. Everything was running fine before the update. I think mountain lion is the most unstable OS ever. Why is this happening to me? Apple cannot deny that this is an issue with their OS. I am extremely dissappointed. !0.8.3 solved the problem and now its back after an update. What should i do?

May 23, 2013 5:30 AM in response to Highwaystar79

The latest Thunderbolt update I saw was a firmware update, which is different than a more normal software update. However, you can try installing the OS X 10.8.3 combo update, which can sometimes fix odd system issues. Use Disk Utility to repair permissions before installing it as well as after installing it. The combo update contains all prior OS X 10.8 updates through 10.8.3. Good practice is to have a system backup prior to applying the combo update.

May 23, 2013 9:51 AM in response to BGreg

The machine was not booting at all even in safe mode, so I tried restoring it

with my time machine backup, sad part is it couldn't go into recovery mode but then

I managed to go to the Internet recovery which is a pain as it took almost two hours to download

and start the recovery mode, another 4 hours to restore from the time machine backup and no luck

The machine just won't boot. I have now done Internet recovery again and I am reinstalling the OS again

through the Internet which in my part of the world is showing 24 hours to download. Insane, why did Apple

Opt for such a stupid Internet recovery process. They could have supplied a system specific USB or offered one for

Purchase. I hope after reinstalling I am able to run the machine or else I don't see any option but to trash it.

May 23, 2013 10:02 AM in response to Highwaystar79

I hope after reinstalling I am able to run the machine or else I don't see any option but to trash it.

One option might be to download the OS X 10.8.3 combo update on your MacBook Pro, then via target disk mode install it on your mini. That might be much quicker.

As far as trashing the system, these sorts of issues are maddening, however, you might want to take it to an Apple shop or Authorized Service Provider for help.

Jun 7, 2013 12:48 PM in response to Highwaystar79

I managed to reinstall the entire system and everything was up and running till today again when I tried to update iTunes through the App Store the update failed to install for some reason and the machine again got stuck on restart. This surely an osx issue with the new Mac mini 2012. I have come to realize that if the system is running then no sorts updates should be installed. Apple is sucking big time now as bad as any windows system. Apple will surely be out of pro market if that's the level of stability their machines offer. My warranty is still left and ideally I should be given a new machine or a full refund.

Mac mini late 2012 getting stuck at apple startup logo

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.