Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can't I open .zip files?

The archive utility runs and runs and then it just stops. Why is that?

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Feb 25, 2013 12:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 25, 2013 2:43 PM

I've read in other discussions that this is an apparent bug.

Send Apple feedback. They won't answer, but at least will know there is a problem. If enough people send feedback, it may get the problem solved sooner.

Feedback

Or you can use your Apple ID to register with this site and go the Apple BugReporter. Supposedly you will get an answer if you submit feedback.

Feedback via Apple Developer

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 25, 2013 2:43 PM in response to Jean Shea

I've read in other discussions that this is an apparent bug.

Send Apple feedback. They won't answer, but at least will know there is a problem. If enough people send feedback, it may get the problem solved sooner.

Feedback

Or you can use your Apple ID to register with this site and go the Apple BugReporter. Supposedly you will get an answer if you submit feedback.

Feedback via Apple Developer

Feb 25, 2013 5:41 PM in response to Jean Shea

You might try this: Open Activity Monitor (Utilities folder). Select "All Processes". Find the process called "appleeventsd". Select it and Force Quit it (with the quit button in the Activity Monitor window). Archive utility should run (if the bug mentioned by Eric Root is in play). The system will restart the (apparently buggy) process appleeventsd as needed.

Alternatively, restart.

charlie

Why can't I open .zip files?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.