Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Appropriate Backup Software for Server?

I had heard in the past that Time Machine should never be used to backup OS X Server, though I have just read a couple of Apple Documents that indicate it can.

So I am wondering: what is the preferred method to backup an OS X Server?

Posted on Feb 25, 2013 1:35 PM

6 replies

Feb 25, 2013 4:20 PM in response to bunger

This is the official line on backing up a server with TM:

Restoring OS X Server from a Time Machine backup

I've found that a full-system restore didn't result in a completely functional server. I'm not sure why not. The best practice is probably to use both TM and a mirroring tool such as "Carbon Copy Cloner" or "SuperDuper." In case of a bare-metal restore, I would restore from TM first in order to preserve the backup history, then (if necessary) restore from a mirror backup. Any files that need to be restored from the most recent snapshot can be recovered in the time-travel view.

Appropriate Backup Software for Server?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.