Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

All my contacts vanished (I was not synching or updating)

Last night, my Iphone 4S (iOS 5.1.1) was crashing while running apps, so I turned it off and then back on. The next text message I received just showed the phone number (not my friend's name). I looked in Contacts, but all my contacts were gone. I tried turning it off and on again, but it didn't help. Still no contacts. I don't synch to iCloud. I used to synch to Gmail, but not any more. Now in iTunes, all the Contact synch options are deselected. So I restored from my last back (from a couple weeks ago). Besides losing notes, text messages (also from 3rd party apps), photos (which they don't warn you about at all), and settings, I did get back all my contacts (at least the ones up until the backup was made). I don't know why the contacts disappeared, but other that losing some stuff and the hassle of restoring, things were back to normal.

A few hours later, though, the same thing happened. My iphone was acting funny, crashing while running apps. I tried to look at Contacts, but it also crashed. My guess is that it was busy deleting all my contacts and that's what was causing my other apps to crash too. I turned it off and back on. After that, the apps worked again and I could open the Contacts app. However, as you might guess, all the contacts had vanished again.

I tried minore fixes mentioned in this forum and on the internet, but most are applicable to older phones, synching or upgrading issues, or iCloud.

I am not synching contacts to ICloud or my computer. I was not synching when it happened. I was not upgrading software. My phone seems to be fine on minute and then next, the contacts just disappear out of the blue. Nothing else seems to be disappearing. Just the contacts...

I don't mind restoring from backup every now and then, but I don't want to do it every day.

iPhone 4S, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Feb 25, 2013 1:50 PM

14 replies

Feb 25, 2013 2:03 PM in response to tuyeda

Not syncing your contacts, etc. with a cloud service or with a compatible address book on your computer is asking for trouble. You may have to purchase 3rd party software to extract what contact information there is in the backup file, then import that to an address book or cloud service you can sync with the phone.

Contacts* and Contact Favorites (regularly sync contacts to a computer or cloud service such as iCloud to back them up).

* Your contacts are part of the backup to preserve recent calls and favorites lists. Back up your contacts to a supported personal information manager (PIM), iCloud, or another cloud-based service to avoid any potential contact data loss.

Feb 25, 2013 2:34 PM in response to KiltedTim

Thanks for your reply. As background... I used to synch to gmail, but when I try to start synching again, itunes gives me warnings that it will merge all my contacts (which I did once before and don't want to have to clean up again) or overwriting the contacts on the phone (but I want the ones on the phone because they are more up to date). So I stopped synching... but I do make backups on my computer, so I can restore my contacts from the backup...

However, the problem is that after I restore them, a few hours later they were get magically zapped off somehow. That is the real problem (not getting them back). Why should I have to expect that the contacts could just get erased on any random day?

btw - I don't think I need a 3rd party app. I can restore to my phone and then synch to gmail (merging them all) or to icloud. But I'd really like to figure out the reason why the contacts are getting zapped. Even if I was synching every day, I'd still be going through the hassle of restoring all my contacts in some way or another. Every day.

Do you think it could be a conflict with an app? I updated a few of them over the weekend. The ones that were crashing were facebook or wechat, both of which use Contacts. I figured they were crashing because the phone was busy deleting contacts, but do you think those (or some other apps) could be causing them to be deleting?

Feb 25, 2013 2:39 PM in response to tuyeda

Contacts are not meant to be restored from your backup. They are backed up for the purpose of maintaining your favorites and recent calls lists.

* Your contacts are part of the backup to preserve recent calls and favorites lists. Back up your contacts to a supported personal information manager (PIM), iCloud, or another cloud-based service to avoid any potential contact data loss.

It's hard to say exactly why they are getting "zapped". If you were syncing your contacts to something, I'll lay odds you would not be going through this. They are probably getting zapped, because something which may be accessing your contacts (facebook, or wechat are both very good possibilities) tried to do a refresh, and because they are not synced with anything, they just blinked out of existance.

I don't think the apps crashed because the phone was deleting the contacts, I think it's more likely the contacts vanished because the apps crashed and "ate them".

Feb 25, 2013 3:26 PM in response to KiltedTim

My fear is that if I were synching to iCloud or gmail or wherever... that once the contacts get zapped from my iphone... that the synching/backup process would think I purposesly deleted my contacts and then it would synch (i.e. it would delete them from iCloud of gmail). Then I would have no contacts on my phone or on my chosen backup location.

I don't mind setting up the process again (like I said, I used to synch to gmail) but I would like to be able to export the contacts to a safe location (like my hard drive) in a form that is viewable/printable in case I need to resort to it if my phone and backups get zapped. It might also help in the case I ever switch to a different phone and not all the contacts move over seamlessly. Thanks.

Feb 26, 2013 10:40 AM in response to tuyeda

I had something very similar happen to me with the exception of having no problems with my apps or phone. I received a text message from a friend that I set a SMS tone for. Now since I heard that tone I am sure the contact was there still but upon checking the message only the number appeared. I always back my phone up to my laptop every 2 weeks or so, so I never used iCloud. I restored my phone which lost about 10 days of info but even after doing that I literally went to my contacts saw the ones that I lost return only to see them disappear later. Can anyone tell me what gives?

Feb 26, 2013 11:12 AM in response to Tle314

Yeah, it sounds like you are experiencing the same problem as I am. I have an appointment with the apple genius bar tonight. However, I have no idea what causes the contacts to get deleted, so I will not be able to recreate the scenario for them. I will let you know if I learn anything useful. I think it may have something to do with the wechat app and the iphone messages and contacts. I had been using wechat around the time (both times) that I lost all my contacts. But it's odd, because I've had that app for awhile without issues. It's not a new app...

Feb 27, 2013 10:36 AM in response to engineermusic

Thanks for showing me the other discussion, engineermusic. More people seem to be finding that post. I think I will join that discussion... https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4776038?start=0&tstart=0

Btw, I talked to an Apple Store genius last night, but he hadn't heard of this (yet). He ran some diagnostics on my phone. (iphone 4S, iOS 5.1.1 - just like those in the other post)

His suggestions were to either:

a) restore to backup, although if I have corrupt files in my backup, I would just get them back

b) system restore (which would also move to iOS 6), which he could do for me right there or I could do later (so he emailed me detailed instructions)

c) next time I get my contacts back (whichever method), synch to iCloud. Then go to ICloud and export the contacts. I can view them, print them, save this file (in case anything were to happen and I needed to refer)

In reading the other thread, there is a post about an app called "My Contacts backup" which lets you email the contacts to yourself as a one file attachment. Keep the email and if you lose the contacts again, supposedly you can open the attachment in the email and they all come back.

Of course, this doesn't explain why the contacts disappear, but it does let you get them back no matter where you are. I am going to try this.

Feb 27, 2013 11:19 AM in response to KiltedTim

If you search google for "missing contacts' or "iphone contacts disappearing" or whatever, you find a lot of people having issues. However, the issues are generally due to synching or upgrading. There really weren't many people complaining of contacts getting deleting until recently. Like it was noted, there seems to be a new issue that has surfaced in the last month. The other thread already has 20+ people saying they have the same problem and everyone is describing the same thing. It is true that we aren't synching (and maybe we should start doing that), but synching is optional and it shouldn't cause the contacts to be deleted. Something else is clearing going on now...

Feb 27, 2013 11:28 AM in response to tuyeda

tuyeda wrote:

...but synching is optional and it shouldn't cause the contacts to be deleted.

Maybe you should re-read the warning from the Apple Support doc linked to above.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4946

Mar 2, 2013 1:43 PM in response to KiltedTim

Hi KiltedTim. Can you help me set up my iCloud synch?

There does appear to be a real (new) issue with the contacts getting zapped in the last week or two. There are many people describing the same problem on the other thread. That is the root of the problem and hopefully it gets addressed. However, in the meantime, I was trying to set up the synch to iCloud, but it's not working.

I am trying to set my phone up to:

1. Backup to my pc via iTunes (like it's always done), and

2. Sync (apps, music, etc) to iTunes (like it's always done), and

3. Sync (contacts, notes, etc) to iCloud

ITunes backup and synch both work fine, but the ICloud sync does not. I first tried to set up Contacts to sync to iCloud from within iTunes, but there was no option for iCloud. So I changed the iCloud setting from the phone. When I chose Contacts, it said it would merge my contacts with what was previously synched to the pc. I didn't want this, but there was no other option, so I said ok. It also made me sign up for an iCloud email address...

But nothing is synching...

I went into iCloud and there is only one contact (myself). When I go into iTunes, it says that my phone is set up to synch contacts with iCloud. There are no longer options to choose anything else. That seems to make sense. It says to change the iCloud sync settings, I need do this on my phone. But I cannot find any place to change the sync settings. (I want to find setting that say when and how the sync occurs). I found one button to click to synch, but it just initiated the normal iTunes pc synch (it was connected to my pc at the time). That's not what I want. When it's not connected to iTunes, I don't see any buttons to click. I want something like "synch to iCloud now"... or somewhere I can set it up to synch when plugged in to charger and on wireless... or whatever.

Right now, it looks like it's set up. ITunes says it's set to synch to iCloud. The phone has it's set to synch to iCloud. I have an iCloud account and email. But nothing is synching... When I log into iCloud, it does not show the contacts or notes that are on my phone.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

What do I need to do to activate it?

Mar 3, 2013 2:26 PM in response to tuyeda

update on my synching problem:

I turned on synching for everything (notes, contacts, etc) except for bookmarks. For some reason, reminders were already turned on. I don't know how they synched since iphone claimed my iCloud password was invalid, but it worked. Nothing for contacts, notes, calendar, etc though...

I then turned on the iCloud backup option on in my phone's iCloud setting. I am trying to sync to iCloud, not backup to it, but I thought i'd try this anyways. This now turns off my backups from the pc. In any case, now the contacts do sync to iCloud. My existing calender items do not synch, but if I add new ones, those sync. My notes do not synch.

On would think that each of these categories would work the way my Remiders do. (i.e. I turn the iCloud button from off to on and then they synch). All the other ones work partially, but in their own unique way. I don't really care about any of them except contacts and notes though. That free app My Contacts Backup seems to be the answer. It lets you email yourself a file containing all your contacts (which you can click on to restore them from your phone) or email yourself a file that can be viewed or printed from Excel. Good enough...

Jun 18, 2013 5:11 PM in response to engineermusic

The loss of contacts just happened to my father (a baby boomer) and it is very stressful for him to lose all these valuable contacts.

I had his phone syncing to Gmail/Google. I do not want to be forced to use an Apple Cloud. Forcing people to do things is not the way to go and will further add to the demise of the Apple prices. Compatability is the way to go.

Hopefully this issue is resolved quickly.

ML

All my contacts vanished (I was not synching or updating)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.