Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

10.4 does not want to install on iMac G3

Hi I am new here so please bear with me.

I would like to start off by saying that my iMac G3 is 400mhz, has 1GB of ram and has its latest firmware up to date. When I got the iMac it had 10.3.9 on it and had a 10GB HD. I upgraded the hard drive to a 7200rpm 80GB WD drive. This new 80GB drive was bran-new and had nothing on it. When I installed the HD I made sure that it was set to master just like the old drive. Once the iMac was put back together I wanted to install 10.4 on it. Since the iMac does not have a DVD drive I used FireWire target disk mode with my Macbook Pro. (Yes I partitioned the HD) When turning on the iMac I held down the option key and selected the install DVD, the install DVD loads, I go through the steps, and then it will say it is installing and then unexcitingly stop after a while. Now I did this a couple times and it seems to stop installing at different points not at the same point each time. Eventually I stopped trying to install 10.4 and installed 10.2 and then 10.4 but I ended up getting the same results... (Note every time I tried to install again I created a new partition over the old one.) So then I just gave up and installed 10.3 and that worked just fine. But today I decided to try to install 10.4 again but this time with 10.3.9 installed. 10.4 was installing good for a while and then the installer when away and all I had was the blue background and the mouse for a long time. I ended up holding down the power button to turn it off. I just don't know what to do next? All I want to do is get 10.4 on the iMac G3. Also the install DVDs for 10.2,10.3 and 10.4 are all the retail ones not the gray ones.

Please help, Thank You!

MacBook Pro (13-inch Early 2011), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Feb 25, 2013 7:17 PM

6 replies

Feb 26, 2013 3:45 PM in response to rccharles

The DVD that I have is this exact one: http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Mac-Tiger-10-4-6-VERSION/dp/B000BWZZLG/ref When I got it I used it on my Power Mac G4 and it worked fine but it does have a lot of scratches on it. As for the thread you gave me, I see how that guy got the install DVDs but the original operating system this came with when new was not 10.4. Do you think I should get another 10.4 install DVD just like the one in the link above? Because the 10.2 and 10.3 I got bran-new, have no scratches on them and have worked every time.

Feb 26, 2013 7:17 PM in response to parrotjre

I think it is the DVD. Scratched could be problem. Bad media. You bought the create type of DVD.

A lot of companies had lifetime warrenty on the media. I'd call apple.

test.

You could boot in 10.3 & attach by firewire & copy the data to your iMac hd. This would verify hardware & dvd. Should fail.

There is some type of filler material for scratched media. Never tried.

Do a minimual install. Maybe miss the bad spot.

At one time mac os x came on several cd. Do this procedure to leave out as much data as possible.

To use one disc: do a custom install.

-- drop print drivers

-- install just the languages you need ( English only? )

There may be some other stuff but this is the idea.

See if you can read what is on the second disk & drop the stuff.

Pacifist "Pacifist 2.6.4 is a shareware application that opens Mac OS X .pkg package files, .dmg disk images, and .zip, .tar, .tar.gz, .tar.bz2, and .xar file archives and allows you to extract individual files and folders out of them. This is useful, for instance, if an application which is installed by the operating system becomes damaged and needs to be reinstalled without the hassle of reinstalling all of Mac OS X. Pacifist is also able to verify existing installations and find missing or altered files*, and Pacifist can also examine the kernel extensions installed in your system to let you see what installer installed them, and whether the installer was made by Apple or a third-party. " http://www.charlessoft.com/

What apple gave out in that other post, are not the orginal restore cd/dvds. It seems to me a copy of tiger / leopard. Never hurts to try.

10.4 does not want to install on iMac G3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.