Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you export files to a external hdd

Hi please excuse my ignorance as I have a macbook pro 13" for the first time. How do you export downloaded files to an external portable hard drive? It is a lot different to my old computer

MacBook Pro

Posted on Feb 25, 2013 10:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 25, 2013 10:43 PM

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities

If you have a Mac for the first time, this process may be a bit difficult because you have to learn to use the Finder. See > http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2470?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

First of all, connect your external disk to your computer, open a Finder window (press the left icon of the Dock) and choose in the Finder sidebar the folder where you have the downloaded files. Then, select the ones you want to copy with the Command key

Then, in the Finder sidebar, you will see your external disk under "Devices". Now, just drag the selected files to the external disk icon in the Finder sidebar, so they will be copied

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 25, 2013 10:43 PM in response to slash202nz

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities

If you have a Mac for the first time, this process may be a bit difficult because you have to learn to use the Finder. See > http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2470?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

First of all, connect your external disk to your computer, open a Finder window (press the left icon of the Dock) and choose in the Finder sidebar the folder where you have the downloaded files. Then, select the ones you want to copy with the Command key

Then, in the Finder sidebar, you will see your external disk under "Devices". Now, just drag the selected files to the external disk icon in the Finder sidebar, so they will be copied

Feb 25, 2013 11:04 PM in response to slash202nz

What are you referring to with "that tone"? Also, I forgot to tell you that OS X can't write in NTFS external drives, so if your external drive is formatted with NTFS (highly probable if you formatted the external drive in Windows).

To check what format is using your external drive, open Disk Utility, select the partition of your external drive in the sidebar, and look at the bottom of Disk Utility. Here, check "Format" and tell me what format you are using

Feb 25, 2013 11:17 PM in response to slash202nz

Now, the easiest way to copy your files to the external drive is to install a third-party application like Paragon NTFS. This app will add write compatibility to NTFS external drives, so you will be able to copy your files to the external drive.

Another posibility you have is to copy the files you have in the external drive to your Mac and format the external drive with a compatible format. In OS X, you can write in:

"Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" > use this format only if you are going to use the external drive with your Mac.

"MS-DOS (FAT)" > this format is FAT32. It's limited to files smaller than 4 GB.

"exFAT" > it's a new filesystem compatible with Windows XP SP3 or newer and Mac OS X 10.6.5 or newer. It's similar to FAT32, but it brings compatibility to files bigger than 4 GB.

If you want to use exFAT, you have to format the external drive in a PC. If you format it in your Mac, you won't be able to use your external drive in PCs

How do you export files to a external hdd

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.