Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is someone trying to hack my mac?

Hey, sorry if this is the wrong place to put this question but I kinda need urgent help :/

Um, someone sent me a link to a website (It didn't download anything) It was just a blank website.
Could they hack my mac with that? (they could have got my I.P. address when I went on it) And what should I do to be safe?

Thank you!

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Feb 25, 2013 8:23 PM

11 replies

Feb 25, 2013 9:12 PM in response to pauljtutty

Do you know what things they can do with that?

Nothing. Your IP address is easily logged by anyone whose websites you visit, since the web pages you request must be delivered to it. Other than that an IP address is not useful for any practical purpose other than to suggest a very approximate geographical location, as in "greater Minneapolis", or to determine your ISP, such as "Comcast".

Anti-virus scanners are useless. There are no OS X viruses. This does not mean that malware cannot be installed on a Mac, but unless you explicitly provided personal information you really have no reason to be concerned. It is not possible, for instance, to deposit a keylogger or data harvesting program on a Mac without physical access to it. Many scams attempt to con you into installing such things through an online chat session or the equivalent. You didn't do that.

Feb 26, 2013 4:21 AM in response to pauljtutty

It didn't download anything and my virus scanner didn't detect any viruses.

Critical question: do you have Java enabled in your web browser, and if so, what system version are you running and is it completely up-to-date?

The issue is that Java has had repeated vulnerabilities that have been attacked frequently. And, although the forum suggests that you are using a PowerPC Mac, you also say you're running Mountain Lion in your profile, which won't run on PowerPC Macs. In any case, though, even if you are seeing this on an older machine, some of the malware that has sneaked in through Java vulnerabilities has included PowerPC code.

I don't think that it's likely that you're infected with, even if you've got a vulnerable version of Java installed, but it would be possible in that case. Scanning with anti-virus software would be reasonable, provided you're using decent anti-virus software. What software is it?

Feb 26, 2013 11:38 AM in response to thomas_r.

Hey there! Yes, I do have Java enabled in my web browser!
Sorry, I appear to have entered some information incorrectly 😊 I have the latest iMac (purchased september 2012) My iMac is updated though, do you think I'm still at risk?
Also, I use norton antivirus from the app store for scanning my system. Do you have any other reccomendations?

And also, thanks for your reassurance, John 🙂 I'll take all that on board and be a lot more careful in the future.. ugh.

Feb 26, 2013 11:47 AM in response to pauljtutty

pauljtutty wrote:

I'm not sure, i'm sorry. I clicked off so fast and reset safari and ran a virus scan so fast.
It didn't download anything and my virus scanner didn't detect any viruses. The only problem is, they could now have my I.P. address. Do you know what things they can do with that?

Thanks for replying by the way 🙂

But you said someone sent you a link. Regardless of whether you reset Safari or ran scans, you might still have that in your mail account?

Feb 26, 2013 11:50 AM in response to pauljtutty

If you have Java enabled in your web browser, you are perpetually at risk. See:

http://www.thesafemac.com/java-is-vulnerable-again/

No amount of system updates and Java updates from Oracle can fix the leaking and sinking ship that is Java at this point. You should disable it in your web browser immediately.

As for your risk, it's unlikely that you're infected with anything. But nobody can give a guarantee, since you had Java enabled, so it wouldn't be a bad idea to do a scan with some good anti-virus software, just to set your mind at ease. If you are using iAntivirus (Symantec's anti-virus offering in the App Store), you should note that that is not even remotely good anti-virus software. It is utterly lacking in any method of updating the virus definitions, other than by updating the app itself, which seldom happens. Last time I tested it, about a month ago, the definitions were two months old, and it did quite poorly. See:

http://www.thesafemac.com/mac-anti-virus-testing-01-2013/

I would recommend getting a copy of Sophos, using it to scan your system, and then uninstalling it if you don't want to keep it. Uninstalling is simple and painless in the case of Sophos.

For more on this topic, see my Mac Malware Guide.

Feb 26, 2013 2:18 PM in response to pauljtutty

I just used Sophos to scan my system and it came back with no threats detected.

Good to hear. If Sophos didn't catch anything, chances are quite good that there was nothing to catch.

As good as Sophos is, there's not a bit reason to run it, or any other anti-virus software, if you keep Java turned off and follow the other suggestions in my Mac Malware Guide. You can uninstall it if you like. If you want to keep it, though, it should be okay. Any anti-virus software can cause problems, depending on what other software is installed, but Sophos is usually not a problem.

Is someone trying to hack my mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.