Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2nd hand Mac Pro: what to look for? Want later models

Hi everyone

I have a 27" iMac tha tis a couple of years old. I have outgrown the 1tb hd, and would prefer to go for a standard desktop design to make adding and changing drives easier. I want to avoid obsolence. I am not looking for a very new model, but one that is a current design. Can anyone give tips on how to determine how recent used Mac Pros i come across are?

Thanks in advance for any tips you can pass on!

John

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Feb 25, 2013 9:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 26, 2013 3:26 AM

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/mac_pro

Stick with the 2010 model. "2012" just was a slight change in default processor offered.

Nothing older than a 2009 though. You save on used 2009s if you find one.

4 replies

Feb 27, 2013 8:25 AM in response to Johnnyjomp69

Additional information for completeness:

The 2008 model and previous are Very Different from the 2009 and later. The 2009 and later can accept much more memory and that memory is substantially cheaper. The 2009 and later with the same number and nominal speed of processors approaches twice as fast in benchmarks due to architectural differences

So if you expect to do compute and memory intensive modeling, Photo, Video, or Audio editing, limit your hunt to the 2009 model and later.

If you are doing general work that does not involve large memory sizes, any model Mac Pro will work for you.

2nd hand Mac Pro: what to look for? Want later models

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.