Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Convert MKV to MP4

How can I convert MKV to MP4 file?

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)

Posted on Feb 25, 2013 10:51 PM

27 replies

May 11, 2017 1:57 AM in response to loftysub

There are many online apps can do the video conversion for you, such as zamzar, Acethinker Video Converter, mediaconverter, etc. They are totally free, and you don't have to download or install anything. Take Acethinker as sample. Here are the steps.

1. Launch your web browser and go to Acethinker Online Converter, you can google search for it.
  2. Click ‘select files to start’, and then drag and drop your MKV video into the app.
  3. Click the Format drop down list, select MP4 as output format.
  4. Click the Convert button, the App will ask you where to save the converted file.
  5. Click Start the run the conversion, it will take a few minutes to finish the task. When the conversion done, you will find the converted file in the folder you set in step 4. Done.

Mar 25, 2016 10:21 PM in response to givemetwenty

I just wanted to thank you for this info! I'm not technically savvy either, and I didn't realize that you can convert the audio without converting the video. It's SO much faster! I had the same problem where the audio format "wasn't supported" on my iPad and converting the entire video with an MKV converter takes AGES. But mp4tools converts the audio super fast! I'm not even sure how I stumbled onto this thread, but I'm glad I did. Thanks again!

May 24, 2013 9:21 AM in response to loftysub

This Method may work or not and your file may not work so keep a copy as this method works very less but tried.

1)First Of All, Get extensions of every file shown-

For Windows XP

By default, file extensions for known file types are hidden in Windows XP. However, you can change this setting so that file extensions are shown for files in a certain folder or for all files on your hard disk.

To show file extensions, first open any folder on your hard drive, such as "My Computer" or "My Documents." Then select "Folder Options..." from the Tools menu as shown below.

When the Folder Options window opens, click the View tab. This will show the file and folder view settings.

One of the options under Advanced settings is "Hide extensions for known file types." If this option is checked, uncheck the checkbox and click Apply or OK.

For Windows 7

Open Folder Options by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking Appearance and Personalization, and then clicking Folder Options.

Click the View tab, and then, under Advanced settings, do one of the following:

To hide file extensions, select the Hide extensions for known file types check box, and then click OK.

To display file extensions, clear the Hide extensions for known file types check box, and then click OK.

2)when you will get extension of your file, rename it by changing its extension from mpk to mp4

After it, if it may work or not. This not always works.

If it works, its your luck

May 16, 2014 11:45 AM in response to loftysub

I use MP4Tools from http://www.emmgunn.com/mp4tools/mp4toolshome.html

I'm not technically savvy, but my understanding is that most MKV files just need their sound file changed to iTune compatibility. The video portion of the file is already okay.

It's been working for me very well.

I open the MKV file in MP4Tools, choose Video --> Pass Through if it's already in h.264 and Audio ---> AAC 5.1, and it generated an M4V file I can drop into iTunes.

I think MP4Tools is the same as other open source programs out there, just wrapped in an easy to use package.

Aug 13, 2014 2:47 AM in response to loftysub

Today, converting MKV to MP4 becomes simpler and simpler, since there are many available MKV to MP4 Converters online. But most of them only can either convert MKV to MP4 with low output quality or doesn't support converting MKV to MP4 with subtitles. Even the converted MP4 files are incompatible with the desire devices like iPhone, iPod, iPad, etc.

There are so many converters available online but before going to download or purchase, find out the best MKV to MP4 converter which can easily batch convert MKV to MP4 without quality loss and with subtitles.

Dec 16, 2014 11:20 PM in response to loftysub

MKV is a container format which means video/audio/subtitle codec can be very different.

Yup you should convert MKV to MP4 first. But don't forget to make it clear that whether stereo or 5.1 and the audio codec you are converting to.

H.264 - video, AAC-stereo-audio, it works smoothly on my Mac.

iMedia Converter is my choice:

http://www.multipelife.com/play-4k-video-on-mac.html

Convert MKV to MP4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.